Outsider

DIY - 86/BRZ Auto-fold Side Mirrors

Let me know how it goes! I got the unit but I haven't had the time to put it in and don't see me getting to it for the next couple of weekends :( Am just worried about which wires are which and don't want to naff it !

At this rate, i might just forfeit the Auto-Fold mirror mod :(

Once i install the dynaliner, i don't see myself removing it to install this mod either.

Oh well, i'll call it a minor loss. Tomorrow i'm off and i have time to install the rest of my dynamat; at last =)

At this rate, i might just forfeit the Auto-Fold mirror mod :(

Once i install the dynaliner, i don't see myself removing it to install this mod either.

Oh well, i'll call it a minor loss. Tomorrow i'm off and i have time to install the rest of my dynamat; at last =)

what;'s a "dynaliner"???

Guys, can any of you that had Subaru kit installed clarify if the mirrors fold if you press the door lock button while driving? Would not want that to happen =)

I just took it for a test run for you :) and if for some reason you want to press the lock button while driving - whether that be the one on the door (which will lock/unlock the doors) or on the remote (which does nothing), I can confirm the the mirrors do not fold.

In fact I can confirm that the mirrors will not fold (using the lock button) any time the car is on - whether driving or stopped.

It looks like I might be able to get around to installing mine the weekend after this - kinda hoping the QLD crew get to it first though - probably more up to the task than I am ;)

if you can, please put up some photos please. Especially of the last leg where you have to close the little black box over one of the wires.

That's the only part I'm not clear on is exactly which wire do you pick from the locking mechanism, but the original set of photos posted make it look pretty straight forward.

how much did garage88 charge you for the plug and play kit?

it was either 200 or 250. i can't remember.

I'm going to try and do the instal this weekend.

anyone else completed a successful instal?

M y recollection was that all the paperwork was in Japanese.

I'll have a look tonight and if there's anything that looks like a part number, i'll let you know.

i think it was just diagrams and instructions, and not very helful.

Job Finished.

And a great big thank you has to go to Outsider. Couldn't have done it without his excellent write up. I'm so happy with the end result. It's a classy finish every time the engine is turned off.

Couple of other things I will mention if anyone else is going to do it.

1. when you take the inside door panel off, remove the two screws that hold the door locking handle, and then just tape the handle somewhere to the door for the time being. keeps it out of the way when you're working.

2. every thing plugs in together perfectly. the one wire that you have to crimp the little black box over, is the top right hand one when you have the door locking mechanism removed and the pins are facing you. make sure the wires all run in the same direction otherwise the unit won't plug back in.

3. The bigger black box that controls the mechanism is too big to try and fit somewhere in the door panel because then the inside door panel won't slip back on. Rather, there is a cavity on the inside door panel behind the drink holder that is an empty space. tape the black box into here and everything will slot into place perfectly.

4. by the way, i couldn't find a part number with the instructions.

definately worth the mucking around. I reckon it would take me all of 30 minutes if I had to do it now.