nicktorious

GTS sound upgrade.

I have had some plans for a while but have only just worked out how to execute them.

Thanks to a friendly post on another forum I am going to purchase these:

http://www.ebay.com....9#ht_3127wt_992

and

http://www.ebay.com....#ht_3266wt_1048

This should allow me to tap in to the cars wiring without cutting anything.

From there I have a Kicker solobaric square 10" sub. I am designing a box to fit around the donut in the boot.

To power it I am thinking :

http://www.jaycar.co...w.asp?ID=AA0453

2 channels for the fronts and 2 bridged for the sub.

For now I will keep the stock fronts. I already have the sub from years ago. The rest should cost me hopefully under $300. I will take photo's as I progress.

Cables have arrived. I have both the male and female sets.

IMAG0086.jpg

Took out the head unit to compare the heads.

Pull off the surround. As you can see its held in by 4 clips.

IMAG0091.jpg

Unscrew the head unit using a 10mm socket. Slide it out and you have access to the cables. I am replacing the bottom left connector.

IMAG0087.jpg

Here is the wiring Diagram:

Untitledster_zpsc1ef4b12.jpg

We are Interested in CN1. You could tap in to all of the speakers from here but I have decided to only use the front speakers. I have ordered a 4 channel amp. I'll take the front signal and power the fronts, and then use the other 2 bridged for a sub.

CN1 is split in to a large and a small connector. As I am not touching the rear speakers I wont need to use the small one. Not all the pins are connected so I wont need to pass through all the wires when I solder it.

IMAG0088.jpg

Amp and cables ordered from Electus. Once they arrive I will continue.

OK the crimps I got were crap. ripped them out and soldered it up. Cabling and amp is in. So far the fronts are powered. Make a noticeable improvement. The benefit will be when I can set the fronts to high pass and put in the sub.

Next up: Sub construction and installation.

I prefer to crimp everything, same way toyota/subaru do joins/splices in their looms. Those insulated crimps are crap though, I cut the uninsulated crimp section off spade terminals etc and use that to make the crimp.

Cables have arrived. I have both the male and female sets.

IMAG0086.jpg

hey mate will these plug inbetween the stock looms so you can run the wires with out cutting the stock looms?? is that what im looking at??

if so where did you get them from??

hey mate will these plug inbetween the stock looms so you can run the wires with out cutting the stock looms?? is that what im looking at??

if so where did you get them from??

Yep that's exactly what they are for. Ebay links in the 1st post.

I'll use this guide for rca outputs. Mine didn't work out as i missed a point which i dare not say as it's quite stupid...

I'll see if i can grab those cables from supercheap auto or autobahn or repco...

if ur buying RCA's please buy a good set, cheap ones = cheap sound as they have less inslulation and can be noisy :(

good rca's can be upward of 100clams and are well worth it. like in all things a system is limited by the weakest link, often a 10k system can be let down by a simple choice like RCA's....

I meant i was going to buy the harness the Nicktorious linked for not cutting into stock harness behind the headunit. Unfortunately i was only able to find 1 of them from local car shops. I had to order the other one through ebay. Gotta wait another 4 days till i finish the install.

But for RCA cable, I'll just pop in the cable that came out of my subwoofer install kit. It was a Scosche Revo kit. It should be good enough for me.

I doubt that i could actually feel the difference from a 50$ cable and a $500 one =D

I decided to use crimps instead of solder on the loom. (if I regret it later I will cut and solder) Added in a High level to RCA converter (you need one of these if you buy an amp without high level inputs) .

IMAG0102.jpg

Nick, you've connected the front L&R signal cables to the signal converter which is connected to the amp and then to the sub. How do you provide the signals for the front speakers? Do you give a line out through your amp as well?

I used 4 channel amp. 2 channels for a bridged sub and use the other to to power the fronts. I like the sound i get out of the stock fronts much more now that they are running through the amp. I run fronts on full range, but ive turned down the bass in the head unit eq. My amp has a separate sub control so I use that to turn the bass up and down as required.