wtf

Installation of Cusco Strut braces (pics)

It is pretty straight forward, but I figured I would include a quick guide.

The only noteworthy aspects of this are

1) You need to cut out some of your boot foam, using a blade as shown

2) You need to remove some of the boot trim

3) If you get the one with the brake master cyl stopper, you need to slip the red anodised part in as pictured before tightening it up

4) You will need a allen key and a ratchet, as pictures

Anyways, here are the pics.. Click for full size.

cusco1.jpg

cusco2.jpg

cusco3.jpg

cusco4.jpg

cusco5.jpg

cusco6.jpg

cusco7.jpg

cusco8.jpg

cusco9.jpg

cusco10.jpg

cusco11.jpg

cusco12.jpg

Here is mine, installed (I didn't get the spare) but a couple of images to show the fit with the "no-spare" boot mat. (I did have to take out a couple of pieces out of the mat) it looks pretty sweet.

702004_10151272726135419_540434302_o.jpg

134283_10151272726400419_1356994332_o.jpg

Nah it definitely doesn't fit with the brace in.

I've been wondering about this myself. Have a look in here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=653396#post653396

Those photos show that a tyre fits in the well beneath the strut brace. That's an American version of the car, I'm wondering if the boot differs from ours in any way. WTF, any word on if this is possible? And do you reckon there's any way to cut holes and squeeze in the rubber mat to use the boot normally?

Vic

I've been wondering about this myself. Have a look in here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=653396#post653396

Those photos show that a tyre fits in the well beneath the strut brace. That's an American version of the car, I'm wondering if the boot differs from ours in any way. WTF, any word on if this is possible? And do you reckon there's any way to cut holes and squeeze in the rubber mat to use the boot normally?

Vic

That's only a space saver tyre, not a full size steel or alloy one.

Vic

The car body is exactly the same everywhere. It's just 'bolt on' parts/accessories that vary ... Hence the wheel well is the same for Us and Oz.

Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie and have four questions.

1. When mounting the front and I unbolt the coil overs do I need to be concerned about front end set up moving?

2. Torque settings on these front bolts?

3. Recommendations on a supplier around Sydney?

4. What difference have you found the braces have made?

Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie and have four questions.

1. When mounting the front and I unbolt the coil overs do I need to be concerned about front end set up moving?

2. Torque settings on these front bolts?

3. Recommendations on a supplier around Sydney?

4. What difference have you found the braces have made?

1: The car should be stationary, nothing will move. Don't worry.

2: Hand tight. If the struts fall off, it's too loose. If the studs snap, it's too tight. The specs are on the Cusco instruction guide, I don't think the torque figures are too high. Interesting side note, toyota say the nuts are 1-use only, but Cusco only provide replacement nuts for rear.

3: Unknown.

4: Front end is more direct, back end seems a liitle more eager to follow. Nice, predictable. Brake Stopper also makes the pedal firmer and more confident, although the increased vibration through the pedal will feel odd until you get used to it.

Follow up on strut braces. I realised that it's a little inconvenient to get to the spare/repair kit with the rear brace in place, and I don't often travel with a socket set/hex key set.

So I splurged on these for the rear. Makes life that little bit easier!

http://www.cusco.co.jp/en/parts_product/_the_cusco_quick_release_lever.html

001f956da8.jpg

available on eBay for a decent price ($55inc postage from Japan):

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CUSCO-Quick-Release-Lever-Set-of-2-BRZ-ZC6-00B-540-C-/301219844734?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item46221a127e

4: Front end is more direct, back end seems a liitle more eager to follow. Nice, predictable. Brake Stopper also makes the pedal firmer and more confident, although the increased vibration through the pedal will feel odd until you get used to it.

Have heard of a few people talk about vibration through the brake pedal when a brake brace is installed, has anyone tried a piece of rubber between the stopper and the master cylinder? or is it not bad enough to bother?

That's an interesting idea scroom and one I might just try out.

I haven't really had an issue with a vibration in the brake pedal with mine, but then I guess I don't stand too hard on them.

Needless, I will give your suggestion a go when I can source a suitable product that can withstand the environment within the engine bay.