wtf

[DIY] Installing the StreetFX slimline numberplate mount/bracket

**** TO PURCHASE THESE AND OTHER 86 RELATED ITEMS CLICK HERE ****

http://streetfx.com.au/store/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=193

Well it's finally done!

We have successfully installed the first plate bracket onto our own member's car.

IT IS UNKNOWN IF THIS WILL FIT THE BRZ AT THIS POINT!

Anyone who has an 86 would know just how god awful (and ridiculously massive) the standard plate bracket is..

So here is what we have instead:

255542_10151081208398528_1606038115_n.jp

The bracket is manufactured from high grade HDPE, right here in Australia, with mounting components imported from the UK. No cheap china stuff, and supports Australian business :) It is fairly basic in design, but means that it is nowhere near the $118 the other places are charging for their metal plate holders, which actually STILL protrude from around the number plates if you have a plate less than 6 characters long.

What is included?

2x square locating nuts (these are pressed into the rear face of the mount)
1x HDPE bracket (countersunk front locating holes and CNC milled rear face)
2x Zinc plated rust proof 6mm philips head machine screws/bolts

2.jpg

CLICK THE PICS FOR FULL SIZE! You must be logged in to view these images..

Here is the stock bracket:

0.jpg

1.jpg

Firstly remove your stock plate.

3.jpg

Remove the stock plate bracket bolts. There are four, as shown in this image.

3.jpg

4.jpg

This will show the gaping holes that are behind the plate mount. This is one of the reasons we went with this design. Other slimline plate bracket mounts protrude from the bar and you can still see the stock gaping holes. We wanted to eliminate this completely, so we designed them with this in mind. Ours completely covers up these holes and sits totally flush against the bar.

5.jpg

HANDY TIP: The locating nuts are press fitted into the back of the bracket, however if you push on them when you try to locate the bolt you may dislodge them. Make sure the locating nuts are sitting firmly in the rear. You can ensure this by sticking a small length of tape across the rear just to make sure you dont accidentally push them in when trying to locate the bolts into the numberplate, otherwise you could end up having to unbolt the bracket and grab the locating nut. If you do accidentally push them in, dont fear, they only fall onto the foam in the bar, so they can be recovered very easily. It's more just an annoyance thing.

You can see the nuts in this pic we showed just before as well:

2.jpg

The factory clips remain in place, they have a nut on the reverse side which we will use to locate the StreetFX mount.

Now simply use the supplied bolts with the large philips head face into the factory locating nuts.

6.jpg

Now attach your plate, using the stock plate screws (personally I would like to use black bolts, but I didnt have any handy).

7.jpg

12.jpg

And you are done!

Here are some pics of various plates attached:

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Note: for qld prestige plates, we trialled a second set of holes as you can see in the production bracket above. These are not actually required and may be deleted on the production model. You can actually use the standard location, and your plate will sit a little higher than pictured.

If only these were available about two weeks ago I would have been all over it like a fat kid on a smartie.

I am now sporting Lakin Plate brackets, which are excellent quality but do lighten the wallet somewhat,

If only these were available about two weeks ago I would have been all over it like a fat kid on a smartie.

I am now sporting Lakin Plate brackets, which are excellent quality but do lighten the wallet somewhat,

I have seen those, they are not so good for personalised plates that are smaller than 6 characters, as they overhang the numberplate and almost defeat the purpose.. Plus they are $100 or more?

I woke up this morning thinking do I just fly my asse over to VIC to pick up this plate mount? As i did declare that I would not be leaving driving out with my 86 without the Street FX plate bracket, as silly as it sounds I was very tempted lol, however I have decided to do the transfer and wait for it to be posted :D

I woke up this morning thinking do I just fly my asse over to VIC to pick up this plate mount? As i did declare that I would not be leaving driving out with my 86 without the Street FX plate bracket, as silly as it sounds I was very tempted lol, however I have decided to do the transfer and wait for it to be posted :D

although his car is running VIC plate, he is in fact in Brisbane. so your decision of not flying to VIC to pick this up is wise lol

although his car is running VIC plate, he is in fact in Brisbane. so your decision of not flying to VIC to pick this up is wise lol

Yes silly me, the email does have a QLD address but all that came to mind was a vison of the WTF 86 plate :unsure:

Well I'm glad thank you. See I haven't even got my car yet but I have already purchased a number plate mount, a clip on number plate cover,  personalised number plates "XLR886"  :D an arm rest and light bulb upgrades lol.  Excited much you think hahaha. 

I took my plates, slimline bracket mount and instructions to my dealer asking them to please apply when my car arrives. Answer "sorry they are not QLD transport approved" I thought "Oh come on" Sometimes these places just take things too far. You buy a $40 000 car and they can't mount some number plates the way you want them grrr

I took my plates, slimline bracket mount and instructions to my dealer asking them to please apply when my car arrives. Answer "sorry they are not QLD transport approved" I thought "Oh come on" Sometimes these places just take things too far. You buy a $40 000 car and they can't mount some number plates the way you want them grrr

The plates are still DOT compliant, the plate location is the same as factory (not offset), the bracket does not obstruct the view of the plate, nor pose any threat to pedestrians. 

There is nothing non compliant about it.

sounds like they were just plain lazy

Well it was actually my dealer. I dropped it all off to him when he was out of the office. He then called me to say that it couldn't be done because it was not a DOT approved product. He did say he would ask the workshop but who knows, I pick up my car on Friday. I even printed the instructions and gave it to them  :wacko: