GCFSA

Oil change frequency help (noob question)

Hey guys, just recently bought a second hand 86 and just have a question about the frequency of oil changes.

So I've searched around the net and found that most people change the oil around 10000 - 15000 km. But since servicing intervals are at 9 months/15000km, is there really a need for me to do oil changes myself or should the oil be changed more frequently?

Thanks!

GCFSA

Hey guys, just recently bought a second hand 86 and just have a question about the frequency of oil changes.

So I've searched around the net and found that most people change the oil around 10000 - 15000 km. But since servicing intervals are at 9 months/15000km, is there really a need for me to do oil changes myself or should the oil be changed more frequently?

Thanks!

GCFSA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I only do about 5000 Kay’s/year so use a synthetic oil which gets changed 12 monthly, avoids condensation in oil damaging the engine. With modern oils and higher Kay’s you should be good for 12 month oil change frequencies regardless under normal driving conditions, dirt roads with dust would require more frequent changes tho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi

with all my classics I do it every year or 5000 km oil and filter with same type of oil.

In the case of my new 86 did the research read the JAP EU and US handbooks on the 86/BRZ

watched the videos on u-tube.

Subaru and Toyota don't seem to be able to decide on what is the right oil.

They list at least two or three blends.

Listened to the discussion about running an engine in and wear and mileage and decided on

Nulon Syn 5W-20 API-SN ILSAC E10/E85 OK. for 0-20 engines better wear and good for my initial flush at 4800KM

will drain at 5000 KM and decide on next choice.

And then every 5000 KM.

But not the overpriced 4 litre Toyota stuff cos you need two tins and 5 litres @ $16 litre plus GST..

Will change filter every 5000 Ryco Z79A as per Mazda 323.

FWIW Aircraft 100D is $7 per litre I have run it in my turbo TIO360 Piper Arrow for 800 hours comps are still 178/180. I change it at 50 hours or every six months.

All this 86 stuff is double that price.

Why?

The right oil is 0W20.

The Toyota TGMO 0W20 is an excellent oil, last I purchased this in a box of 6 x 4L @ $47/can inc GST = $63.45/OCI. Pretty much any 20 weight oil will go except I've chosen to stick with the factory oil based on the great feedback on BITOG. If it's hot & you're tracking then a 30 weight like TenTenths Racing5 is best.

This 20 weight grade oil is expensive even after 6 years, prices will drop as it becomes more common place I guess.