DjCoopAss

Cusco or MCA coilovers?

Have you talked to these guys, see what they actually offer for your needs?

MCA alone offers 3 different types for different circumstances.  (2 maybe more applicable; the blue & red)

MCA is the official supplier for the 86 series.  They're Australian.   But your needs maybe different.

Just contact both, see what they offer, first of all, in my opinion.

The MCA's are every bit as good or better than anything else out there. The major difference is valving/spring rates that suits out tracks, testing and heavy RnD (I'd bet money they haven't put as many test miles on the Cusco stuff as Josh has) and local support. You get more for your money with no import markup, no overseas shipping and a local shop that can service or rebuild parts. I'd hate to have to send something to Cusco for a rebuild. Both money and time wise. At our track events its almost rare to see something thats not MCA. 

What do you mean less time? They are cheaper becasue they aren't an upmarked brand name suspension and they don't have to pay the Import duties that those others do. I can assure you that the 86 suspension has 10000% more Effort put into it than anyone else. Not to mention other stuff like the Traction Mod Josh has which greatly helps the cars geometry and there is not a single other company on earth that has made one yet. MCA isn't exactly a new brand. Murray has been doing top Motorsport suspension for 30+ years and Josh has been doing both suspension and competing for most of his adult life. 

If you're still undecided, why don't you just call up MCA and see what Josh can do for you? I've had Apexi, HKS, MCA and Tein in my previous cars and all set up differently. MCA was the only brand that didn't charge me extra for different spring rates.

What do you plan to do with your car? Bit of track? Spirited driving? or for that low low stance?

yeah some braces are pointless but cusco make a lot of things from stiffer engine mounts, steering rack reinforcements, throttle boys, light weight pulleys, sway bars to electronic dampening controls for their suspension... its good s##t !!!!!!!!

I have the MCA Reds on mine and well worth every dollar spent. 

Question (since I'm thinking of the mca reds, too):

Do you have some comparative laptimes before/after?  How did the reds affect your street driving (if at all - or you might not drive on the streets)

Thanks!

I've yet to track it because its a project car for me. I want to upgrade the brakes and add lightweight wheels before going to the street car only track day (For beginners etc). As for street driving they are great, ride height is a little lower than before but I've found the ride doesn't lean as much any more with the turns. Bear in mind I also have Cusco Front 20mm front and 16mm Rear sway bars so they help. 

Overall I feel the car more, feels like a more stable platform to drive. During a corner stock I felt the car was leaning too much and pulling the car to the outward side, now it doesn't and adds that bit of confidence to driving it. 

Thanks for the reply

Interesting approach.  I took the exact opposite; took the car out on the track stock, and then slowly upgrading-tracking-upgrading-tracking to see the changes :)

So far the single biggest one I reckon is the track tyres (nitto nt01).  Then the ACE header & stage2 tune.

Looks like I'm chiming in a bit late. Haven't been here for a while. 

Anyway, I had Cusco Street Zero A coilovers. They are more expensive than the MCA Blues. I live in Lismore NSW and TBH, they bottomed out on EVERY little bump. Every. Single. One. And there are a lot here in NSW :D 

I had to have them on the highest setting available which meant they were like a rock and still bottomed out. Even going over a speed bump at a respectable speed they'd go BANG on the bump stops. 

Mate of mine has the same set, hasn't had the same trouble but he has them on the highest dampner setting. I honestly thing the spring rate isn't high enough.

MCA is Aussie owned and made. They can make your coilovers to your desired spec and they are made for Australian conditions (not Japan). I've never heard ANYONE complain about them from the MCA blue to the MCA Gold. 

Keen to know what you buy and your impressions!!