Shunto

Final capped price service / warranty ending. Claims?

Hi all,

I have my final capped price service and my warranty is about to end.

What are some things that easily wear / tear on our cars that could be claimed on warranty? One idea I've come across is the material on the steering wheel fading away quickly which is quite true. 

Another one is the GPS not connecting properly. 

Is there anything else mechanical that is worth noting before I let the warranty lapse?

Cheers

Vouching for the box. Mines shithouse. The engine cover usually only on manual i hear, and is best fixed with a replacement part from Raceseng. People also have had all the rattles in the cabin attended to on warranty including warped dash around the centre air vents.   

If you have an annoying creaking or clicking sound coming from the rear parcel shelf, this is a common problem on cars built prior to mid-2013 (was fixed on the production line for cars built after that). It is a definite warranty item, with a factory issued bulletin detailing the steps to fix it. Basically, they just remove the parcel shelf trim, pry apart the affected panels, inject some special grease and then close the panels to reduce the clearance. Adds about 1.5 hours to the service and does eliminate the problem.

In regards to the warping around the centre vents, does anyone know what they have to do to fix it? I'd rather not have my dash pulled out and replaced if I could avoid it.

No avoiding it from everything I've heard.  Toss up whether you want to risk the chance of more rattles versus the level of warping.

If your windows squeal when they go up and down when wet that is fixable with a newly designed seal.  I've had both mine replaced however my passenger side still does it.  Toyota are collecting data on whether it has fixed the problem or not.  Mine goes back to the dealer for the test next week.

Just thought of another one that I think was discussed on the forum a while back. I'm not sure if it is the same issue that Hawk has raised at Post #9, above, but from memory, it had something to do with the flawed design of the side window runners and/or seals which can lead to the glass being scratched after frequent use. I'm pretty sure it is a warranty item, but I do not know if Toyota will fix it as a preemptive measure if the problem hasn't manifested itself. I have not experienced the issue myself, probably because I rarely operate the windows, however it is at least worth putting this on the list at your final warranty service, so if it manifests itself later, you have a better chance of persuading the dealer to fix it for free as you raised the problem during the warranty period.

Remember, we are talking faulty design here, so if Toyota has developed a simple fix, one would think it would be in their interest to replace the parts on request rather than eventually having a host of disappointed customers complaining about scratched windows.