Sign in to follow this  
wtf

DIY - TRD Spoiler installation, pictorial guide

CLICK PICS FOR FULL SIZE!

Here are the wings at the shop
[attachment=757:wings3.jpg]

Here is the provided bag with template, foam feet etc.

[attachment=756:wings2.jpg]

Lining it up against the car, just for fun:

[attachment=758:wings4.jpg]

[attachment=759:wings5.jpg]

Remove the bootliner (GT models dont have this)

[attachment=780:platelight1.jpg]

[attachment=781:platelight2.jpg]

[attachment=782:platelight3.jpg]

Now using the template provided mark the holes with a marker

[attachment=760:wings6.jpg]

[attachment=761:wings7.jpg]

[attachment=762:wings8.jpg]

[attachment=763:wings9.jpg]

[attachment=755:wing2.jpg]

Before drilling any holes, just double check the holes line up:

[attachment=754:wing1.jpg]

Using a centre punch and small hammer, we made a small indent so the drill didnt slip off. You can use masking tape in this step if you like to help, but it wasnt really necessary.

Now we drilled small holes, around 3mm.

[attachment=764:wing3.jpg]

[attachment=765:wing4.jpg]

[attachment=766:wing5.jpg]

[attachment=767:wing6.jpg]

[attachment=768:wing7.jpg]

Next using a larger drill, we made holes large enough for the studs. We actually made it slightly larger than needed to give us a little bit of adjustment.

[attachment=769:wing8.jpg]

[attachment=772:wing11.jpg]

Now test fit the wing.

[attachment=770:wing9.jpg]

[attachment=771:wing10.jpg]

Fit the foam sealer pads to the feet near the studs.

[attachment=773:wing12.jpg]

We used the small vinyl squares in the bag to help us line up the final position of the wing. We had someone push on the spoiler, while marking around the edge with the vinyl squares, on the top and the bottom of the wing.

[attachment=774:wing13.jpg]

[attachment=775:wing14.jpg]

[attachment=777:wing16.jpg]

Remove the double sided tape backing from the bottom of the wing. There are several sections, be sure to get them all, especially the ones right at the outer edges of the wing. You will need another two people to help here. Push the wing onto the boot lid, hold the forward edges of the wing up until its lined up perfecting - lining the edges up with the vinyl squares. Once it is aligned push all the edges down, so the double sided tape adheres.

After this, attach the provided plastic wing nuts inside the boot lid, onto the studs.

[attachment=776:wing15.jpg]

And you are done!

[attachment=778:wing17.jpg]

[attachment=779:wing18.jpg]

[img]http://www.streetfx.com.au/galleries/86/wings/wing18.jpg[/img]

Dam that looked easier observed than done! Never knew it had to be drilled. I'm thinking of getting the JDM factory spoiler found on limited gt editions in Japan which has 6 holes that need drilling! I think my heart will skip a beat with every hole drilled! Lol

Huge thanks for that - it looks awesome (do you have a side shot??)..... my unpainted spoiler arrived yesterday and is in the painters now getting painted (blue) for $200 and $100 to fit - he looked at me strangely when I gave him the instructions in Japanese and I thought to myself here goes the price up!!!! I wonder if I give him a print out of this excellent DIY would I get a discount?????

[quote name='aps86' timestamp='1345040419' post='2148']
Huge thanks for that - it looks awesome (do you have a side shot??)..... my unpainted spoiler arrived yesterday and is in the painters now getting painted (blue) for $200 and $100 to fit - he looked at me strangely when I gave him the instructions in Japanese and I thought to myself here goes the price up!!!! I wonder if I give him a print out of this excellent DIY would I get a discount?????
[/quote]

Here is a side shot.. hard to see with the background, but its there.

[quote name='Nardi330' timestamp='1345074287' post='2164']
how much does Option 1 charges to do this?

i need mine installed and it's good to let someone who has experience to do it!! thanks.
[/quote]

Shoot them a message on here, or post in their sponsor section :)

That would be good thanks Mark,
I will be leaving for the US in a couple of weeks and I would like to have the wing and lights before then as I will be going for about 3 weeks and my work isn't close to home,
If you don't receive the dome lights from customs soon, just ship the rest of the lights and I will organise to grab the dome lights at my own postage expense when I get back from the states.

Cheers
Ben

[quote name='wtf' timestamp='1345450520' post='2338']
Will chase up option 1 to make sure they shipped!
[/quote]

i also need to email them, im kinda expecting it tuesday or wednesday if it has been sent :)

Hi, can anyone send me the template? I purchased my spoiler off ebay from the US and it came in a box with 2 bolts! Nothing else. Akso, my holes are punched on the outer sections of the spoiler not the centre like 'WTF86'

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Hi, can anyone send me the template? I purchased my spoiler off ebay from the US and it came in a box with 2 bolts! Nothing else. Akso, my holes are punched on the outer sections of the spoiler not the centre like 'WTF86'

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Hi there,

found this thread by google. I mounted the TRD spoiler yesterday on my European spec GT86. I noticed, that the bottom part of the spoiler, just above the Toyota emblem, is not flush fitting to the trunk. Also I interpreted the Japanese manual to not use the delivered sealing gasket in that area. Is that also the case on your car?