wtf

Occasional misfire when idling at lights.. Twice now nearly stalled while idling?

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum thing. Today I met a very nice 86 owner at a local Repco, I forgot his name, but his Rego Number is OMG86. I got interested in jumping in the 86forums.com.au.

I had my 86 for 4.5 months now, i've about 16,000 kms, my car was an april build, and I never had any issues with it apart from minor things. If i remember correctly, I had that idle issue while the engine oil temperature was around 119-120 degress celcius. I think the 0W-20 factory oil is too thin. When the oil is over the operating temperature, it may have sheared already, as I can see a low oil pressure of about 12-13 psi, that is very low. The cam sensors for this car is oil and pressure sensitive, thus confusing the ECU.

So, I went to change the oil around 2,000 kms to 5w-30 Castrol Synthetic, and normal driving conditions sitting in deadly sydney traffic was around 97-98 degrees celcius, occasional WOT gets it up to 108 degrees, I then took it to the track more than a couple of times, and got a temp reading of 116-118 celcius, under full load for 8-10 20 minute sessions.. for a car to settle around 118 degrees at the track is pretty acceptable.

Non of the idle issues popped up since then. its already 16,000 kms.

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum thing. Today I met a very nice 86 owner at a local Repco, I forgot his name, but his Rego Number is OMG86. I got interested in jumping in the 86forums.com.au.

I had my 86 for 4.5 months now, i've about 16,000 kms, my car was an april build, and I never had any issues with it apart from minor things. If i remember correctly, I had that idle issue while the engine oil temperature was around 119-120 degress celcius. I think the 0W-20 factory oil is too thin. When the oil is over the operating temperature, it may have sheared already, as I can see a low oil pressure of about 12-13 psi, that is very low. The cam sensors for this car is oil and pressure sensitive, thus confusing the ECU.

So, I went to change the oil around 2,000 kms to 5w-30 Castrol Synthetic, and normal driving conditions sitting in deadly sydney traffic was around 97-98 degrees celcius, occasional WOT gets it up to 108 degrees, I then took it to the track more than a couple of times, and got a temp reading of 116-118 celcius, under full load for 8-10 20 minute sessions.. for a car to settle around 118 degrees at the track is pretty acceptable.

Non of the idle issues popped up since then. its already 16,000 kms.

Interesting..

Can any of the guys in Toyota etc who are on here suggest if the oil pressure is possibly related to the stuttering/stalling issue?

Can any of the guys in Toyota etc who are on here suggest if the oil pressure is possibly related to the stuttering/stalling issue?

It isn't.

During this activity we have become aware of an issue which affects 36 vehicles, less than 4% of total vehicles sold. These vehicles have experienced rough running caused by the engine ECU restricting the operation of the VVTi Controller. The root cause of the issue is the relationship of the tolerances in VVTi Controller design and the ECU software. We can assure you that this does not damage the engine because as soon as the ECU detects that a sensor signal is out of specification it will protect the engine by inducing a fail-safe condition and, at the same time, illuminate the Malfunction Indicator Lamp to inform the driver.

To affect a permanent resolution to this issue TMC have been developing an upgrade to the ECU software but this has taken time to bring to market due to the need for it to be homologated. Whilst this process has been on-going VVTi Controllers manufactured to a tighter specification have been available to fit to those vehicles experiencing the rough running condition.

Impression Snow Poignet Valla Scheme Lengua Dirigir Finale Horse Vuelo Cerca de Impresson Afición Grass Gâteau Intellegent Offer Idiot Enfant Clap Camino Sprache Beschäftigen Jagd Alphabetisch Lavage North Dress Ruhig Surface II Cabello Crochet Twist Venta Bouche Dolor de cabeza Politique Identifier Prisonnier Messe Liquide Proporción Schlange Livre III Find Geheimnisvoll Betreuen Rush I Pull II Promote suknie ślubne łódź Pleurer Ayuda Suffer Widerstehen Rail Fenetre Convención Bury Beschränkt Cuisine Erschreckend Normal Ocultar II Umschlag I Steigen Llamar Outstanding Straße Voler Chanson Hälfte Container Gut Puerta Hombre de negocios Tordu Lektion Enorme Ice cream Arte Fer Odd Passagier Wiederherstellen Wild Commencer Entendre Perder Schwellen Insulter Livre II Ferme Cubierta II Sordo Erde Offensive II Étendre Ligue Flüssigkeit Tun .

Yeah yeah mannnn I UNDASTAND