Chongy

Blackvue and Power Magic Pro DIY?

Blackvue and Power Magic Pro DIY?

how did you install yours in your 86/Brz?

Hi

I am just wanting to wire in my power magic pro and would appreciate any advice. I remember reading something about picking up a permanent active from behind the stereo or something like that.

Does anyone have any DIY:

Tips? Recommendations? Instructions? methods? Photos? wiring diagrams? Or a DIY write up or link?

Thanks in advance

I don't think anyone has done a write up yet.  I've been meaning to but haven't.

I think the best way is to utilise the spare power plug behind the head unit as you mentioned.

Remove the head unit and the plug is at the back on the left.  It is the exact same type of plug that the head unit uses for the rear speaker wires - green and purple.

post-3632-0-38842000-1407646947_thumb.jpg

Buy one of these packs from Autobarn or Repco for $15 (don't forget to show your RACQ card for 10% off at Repco).  The harnesses in the photo below are NOT the ones that came in that packet as they have bare wires instead of the ISO plugs.  I used the originals and the ones in the photo are off ebay.

post-3632-0-80147800-1407647208_thumb.jpg

You will need to use a small flatish bladed tool to release the pins and swap wire colours over (if you want to - recommended) but can be quite tricky and aggravating.

post-3632-0-80231600-1407647212_thumb.jpg

post-3632-0-93302800-1407647216_thumb.jpg

When done just plug it in to that unused plug and run your Power Magic Pro cabling down to wherever you want it. 

If buying from Repco look for the packet in the 2nd photo.  TO SUIT Toyota Smaller 2-Plug Type  APP0141

On ebay etc. look for - Toyota radio harness 

here is the one I bought and waited for from Hong Kong http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-x-Auto-Car-Aftermarket-Radio-Wire-Harness-Male-Plug-17cm-Long-for-Toyota-/191271735657?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c88af1169

With regards to the install, I put my PMP in the glove box.

I rank cable to DashCam through roof liner (just used finger tips to feed under), then rank cable down A-Pillar, took off side panel near Glove Box and ran PMP cables behind head unit.

A lot simpler than I thought it would be.

Thanks Hawk,

I followed what you outlined for the plug, the pin transfer and solder / heatshrinking the wires and it has been installed perfectly.

I place the pmp in the glove box quite cleanly also so whenever I want the parking option it's as simple as opening the glovebox.

Hi all,

Bought a DR650GW-2CH and onto this now.

This unused female plug on the back left on the first photo, i couldn't find it in my GTS86 2015. Just want to confirm if the unused female plug terminal if this is just available with other models (GT, BRZ), or is it available when your head unit is the default GTS unit with the Sat Nav,  before i start splicing the wires somewhere else. 

Much appreciated. Thanks!

I think the plug you guys are referring to is the "Option connector" which is located towards the firewall & looks like . . . .

post-2283-0-05598400-1457601432_thumb.jpg

it's a bitch to get to but it's well worth using as it's perfect for the dash cam - I have used it also for my BV650 aswell as my Blitz FLD meter. CAN bus wires are blue from memory, others are Red/Acc, Yellow/Battery, Black/Ground.

I finally found mine. For a GTS (i assume GTS is only in Australia), its at the passenger side area right in between the glove box and the head unit, at the back of the dash panels of course.

And yea it seems to be made just for the dashcam if you follow this diy. My PMP is conveniently sitting in the glove box, i fixed the connector (cigarette plug-sized) just by the triangle cover at the passenger side of the dash so that i can easily unlplug it if the PMP fails, and can plug it directly in the 2nd cigarette ppoint behind the glove box! Genius and too easy!

Thanks for the responses! Let me know if anyone needs help in the Melbourne area.

Next for me is the tilt-on-reverse ;)