Gee

Installing Footwell L.E.Ds....Help Needed!!

I am looking to install foot-well LED strip lights in my GTS but I am having no luck finding the common positive.

I have consulted the BRZ wiring diagram on page 185 which clearly shows the applicable wire and colour code.

I have tested a series of lines on both sides of the car but have failed to find the correct one.

I am basically searching for the wire that will switch my lights on & off when I open & close the doors.

Any help would be most appreciated...

Thanks Bacon Fist Pump,

Will there be any issue with the SRS Air Bag behind the pillar cover???

im not 100% sure, ive never tried to take the pillar off in my 86, but i dont think it will be a problem if you are careful, maybe someone else can help with the airbag thing

Gee, on 22 Apr 2014 - 4:59 PM, said:
I am looking to install foot-well LED strip lights in my GTS but I am having no luck finding the common positive.I have consulted the BRZ wiring diagram on page 185 which clearly shows the applicable wire and colour code.I have tested a series of lines on both sides of the car but have failed to find the correct one.I am basically searching for the wire that will switch my lights on & off when I open & close the doors.
Any help would be most appreciated...

Ive done exactly what you are wanting to do. Im aware there are other ways of doing it e.g. tapping into the door switch but i have a strict rule of NO cutting/splicing any factory wires (while still under warranty anyway). It goes without saying but follow this process at your own risk

1. You want to buy a led interior dome light to switch out, not only because its brighter but also because you can tap into the wires that go to the led board instead of tapping factory wires. I bought this one LED Dome Light

2. Next you want to cut 2 peices of wire long enough to go from the dome light, along the roof, down the side pillar, under the dash and to the centre console. i used the 24 gauge wire that i had around the house. 

3. Slice into the wires and attach a wire to the positive and one to the negative. You can do this with either a splicer or just cut the wire then solder all 3 ends together. Soldering looks much neater though. Once you splice the wires, wrap some electrical tape at the other end of the wire so you know which one is positive and negative. 

1.jpg

4. Now you need to remove the dome light cover. On the windscreen side of the cover you will see 2 small rectangular holes. Adjust your rearview mirror to be as parallel to the side of the car as possible. Grab a small flat head screw driver, insert it one of the holes and gently push up and then push the handle towards the windscreen. Repeat for other hole and cover will pop out. 

2.jpg

5. Run the wires that goto the footwell one at a time though the hole as shown in the image. Aim the wire towards the windscreen and as you're feeding it through, use your fingers to pull down the lining where it meets the windscreen and feel around for the wire. Once you have ahold of it, pull it all the way through and repeat for other wire. 

3.jpg

6. Run the wires along the edge of the overhead interior until you get to the side pillar airbag cover. To remove the cover, insert your finger in the top and gently pull back. its held in place by a green plastic cable. Run the wires in behind the airbag mechanism. (Don't worry, you won't set it off as long as you don't intend to punch it). Run cable all the way down behind to the dash. 

4.jpg

7. With the door open, pull off side cover on dash board. Cover just pops off. To do so put 1 finger or a screwdriver in the bottom corner and pull away. Insert the wires through one of the holes and feel around from the other side and pull cables trough. 

5.jpg

8. We are going to hide all the connections in the center console in the gear stick compartment so we need to remove the cover. (I did this on a manual so i have no idea if its possible on an auto. there are heaps of other places to hide it though).  To remove the cover, place your thumbs underneath the circular housing at the stereo end. dig your thumbs under a little bit and pull up , the cover will pop out. There is a cable harness underneath, you can unplug it however there is more than enough slack to work around it. 

6.jpg

9. Once you have exposed the gear compartment you need to feed all of the wire through to it. You can push the wires up underneath the side skirt panel and pull them through from inside the compartment. 

10. Next you need to mount your led stripes. I just bought a 5m spindle of flexible red LEDs off ebay for about 8 bucks. Cut them to size and wire them accordingly. Along the bottom of dash lip is a nice flat surface to mount to. Run the wires to the shifter compartment under the skirt and grab some bullet or spade connectors. Grab the positive from both the left and right footwell, clamp them in the connector. do the same for both negatives. Grab the cables that go from the dome light and clamp on the other end of the connector to each and plug them in. Now is a good time to test they're working before we clean everything up.  

11. If everything is working, move the wires well out of the way of the shifter itself as to not get tangled or cause obstruction. Hide any excess wiring under the center console side skirt. Pop all covers back on, they all just clip on and you're done. The LEDs will turn on whenever your dome light is on.

7.jpg

This is the end result

8.jpg

Hope this helps.

James