HDJ80

the truth please it may hurt one of us ouch :)

Ok... when I bought this gts 86 for the mrs she was a little disappointed as she really wanted a rx8.. now don't get me wrong the rx8 is a awesome car but I wanted to buy her something new.. now she has one little dislike for the 86..

"It is a Boys car.." apparently? :(

Well yes and no ,,, in my opinion I think it is a boys car for someone between 17 and 25 but a girls car for ALL ages... now that's just my opinion as I know there are plenty of over 30 blokes driving these cars... I have to be careful not to offend anyone...

However those that get them and build them to race then these 86's are a any age man's car.... but if you are over 30 and have one that isn't raced it could be the mid aged crisis problem ... 25-30?

Anyway I very rarely drive it as i actually feel uncomfortable and rather be in the passengers seat as I love the way the mrs drives it hard and that she really looks awesome in it... (ok i want to have sex afterwards) I love the 86 but it just isn't my car.... To me it is a full on chicks car or a boys car or a old farts wish I had a porsche car or a raced good on yah any age car...

This is where they are imho

1. A full on chicks car

2. A Boys car

3. A Race car

So question is does anyone share the same opinion as I or is it I am just a narrow minded old fart.? :) that should just shut the f up :)

BTW

I keep looking at the mrs car next to my sons soarer and that uz1fe would fit so nice in there I could see myself on hill climbs - then and only then will I feel comfortable in the drivers seat... that sound of a all al 4litre v8 in a little 86 more sex :)

Don't get me wrong I recon that these are the best out ther but they really need to man up a bit to get my vote... so until then I'll just keep wandering around the roads in my diesel landcruiser :)

No idea what your trying to say here.

If its your un-impressed then sell it buy the rx8, problem solvered :-P

If you are after ranting support and how dare you comments I am guessing this forums is a little too matured to be baited for that and would support you doing as you please.

For me I agree with OneLifeLiveIt, I drive mine because I love it and who cares about what others think.

So in closing I wish you good luck with whatever your plans will be and remember at the end of the day you only need your own approval to be happy and content.

Hi HDJ80,

The problem here may be that you bought your lady an 86 when she wanted an RX8 .. simple as that. If she hasn't succumbed to the 86's charms by now, unfortunately she may never. I eventually chose a new 86 over a secondhand Nissan 370Z and a very secondhand Porsche Cayman. Like you, my husband was also extremely generous in helping me acquire my 86, although he would have preferred I bought the Cayman. The fact that he left the decision entirely up to me means I'm a happy camper and there will be no arguments down the track.

A world beating car like the 86 with its Car of The Year accolades has generated broad appeal, so I doubt whether there is an overwhelming owner-stereotype. Just for the record, while the boys definitely love it, there are quite a few 86 lady owners on this site (some 'aging disgracefully' like myself) who are in love with this wonderful sports car. I enjoy driving it, doing the odd mild modification or spending time in the passenger seat; my husband (who is also aging disgracefully and races a Porsche) equally loves driving it "for its Porsche like feel and handling" and spends plenty of time in the passenger seat; while local teenagers of both genders just keep asking to sit in it. Like I said - broad appeal / no real stereotypes.

Anyway, let's hope your generosity is fully rewarded and your lady falls in love with the 86 as we all did.

I'd just say 'narrow minded old fart'!! ;)

If she doesn't like it then

1. Sell it

2. File for divorce

To me she is someone very hard to satify materially

It's neither a boys car or a girls car and for heavens sake NOT a 'hairdressers cars' that title belongs solely to the MX5

In SE Queensland the owners are a total mix of people, young to old, male and female. Social runs attract from all of those mentioned and the ones that seem to be totally into adding those little 'extras' are the mature aged ladies!

I could NEVER imagine my grandma driving something like the 86/BRZ let alone having after market wider wheels, dual titanium cat-bacj exhaust systems, upgraded stereo systems - I could go on and on

Finally, I can really say is it's YOUR problem not ours!! :D

PS: For the record I have TWO 'hairdressers cars' let's NOT make that three :angry:

Love your views,

Buying the 86 is a family decision for us.....got my wife over the line by (honestly) telling her that nothing looks sexier than a woman driving a nice sports car. After that, she looks forward to the school drop offs and I fear I'll be relegated to the SUV......

I'd just say 'narrow minded old fart'!! ;)

If she doesn't like it then

1. Sell it

2. File for divorce

To me she is someone very hard to satify materially

It's neither a boys car or a girls car and for heavens sake NOT a 'hairdressers cars' that title belongs solely to the MX5

In SE Queensland the owners are a total mix of people, young to old, male and female. Social runs attract from all of those mentioned and the ones that seem to be totally into adding those little 'extras' are the mature aged ladies!

I could NEVER imagine my grandma driving something like the 86/BRZ let alone having after market wider wheels, dual titanium cat-bacj exhaust systems, upgraded stereo systems - I could go on and on

Finally, I can really say is it's YOUR problem not ours!! :D

PS: For the record I have TWO 'hairdressers cars' let's NOT make that three :angry:

If she didn't want the car she didn't want it. Simples.

She isn't being hard to please

If I took your 86 away and gave you something else you would be the same

The car isn't it everyone, don't force it on others

I like driving my car because it pleases me.  I used to dislike Skylines and Silvias because it just seemed that 95% of owners were mentally retarded, but I've gotten past that and I don't like them now because they're mostly just bomby old cars.

I plan on owning my car well into my 30's and don't plan on trying to make it a race car of any sort, but just keep it for what it hopefully will be as it gets older, a reliable economical but fun to drive RWD sports car, and I will continue on with my usual philosophy of upgrading car rather than upgrading the car into something it never really was, reducing reliability, as I got burnt with that last time.

When i thought of buying my GTS, Toyota never said that i was too old for it  or that it was a ladies car- what is wrong with some people? If you think that one is too old for it then you might as well go into a nursing home i say. I'm 50 and loving my 86!

If she didn't want the car she didn't want it. Simples.

She isn't being hard to please

If I took your 86 away and gave you something else you would be the same

The car isn't it everyone, don't force it on others

He asked the question and I gave my answer  ..  he obviously has the cash to splash so why spray his problem around in here for answers?  She hates it, he should just get over it and buy her what she wants  .. simple! 

You taking my 86 away has nothing to do with this, I get where you are coming from but no, he bought her a car and obviously didn't ask her what she actually wanted .. his problem not ours

Well that got some reactions :)

I had to re read what I had said as apperantly she hates the 86? Well didn't see that in the post at all what I said is "she has one little dislike" which is that it is a Boys car...

Regardless of what you think virtually all cars carry some sort of stereotype of some discription and the 86 in my wifes veiw is that it is a Boys car. Every evening I wait to watch her drive up the road home as she looks so sexy in it and a 86 is a sexy looking car... I don't drive it as I love being in the passengers seat and with the slightly harsh ride I can glance across and watch that .... bounce :)

BTW she does really like the 86 she thinks the inside is awesome... It's just that it still comes second to the RX8, personally the 86 is a much better car in so many ways but I do get sick of her seeing a rx8 and saying "that is a nice car what is it" and she knows very well it is a rx8....

Yeah agree the rx8 is nice and it's no point arguing merits of both. We all have our preferences and it's nice she actually has an interest so I guess it's now down to whether you chase her dream or continue yours :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Peter - you certainly did stir it up that's for certain, to such an extent that I'm sure some of your fellow 86forums members may claim their eyes actually bled (I just adored Bren's comment .. "WTF have I .. etc"). 

Rest assured however, we ladies do love to hear that we look sexy driving our 86's, although we may not be endowed to the extent that we 'bounce' as much as your wife (or is there something wrong with the roads around the ACT or a problem with your suspension?).

Anyway, I'm only commenting on your latest post because - (deep breath) - when I was getting out of my 86 at a car park today, a couple of blokes yelled out - "Skirt alert .. sexy blonde in sports car!"

Now before I get too carried away with myself, they were bored building site workers and I was parked far enough away to soften the wrinkles. I must confess however that I loved it, despite the giant strides that have taken us ladies from the kitchen to the boardroom. Please note: This was my only joy in an otherwise ordinary day - so please, no comments from the sisterhood telling me I've set women's rights back one hundred years.

I wonder if Bren's eyes are bleeding again? :o

I picked up a 1 year old GTS yesterday. I am new to this forum, and obviously to the car. I and my wife both fell in love with this car about a year ago whilst on a walk in the hood.

As I mentioned, 1 day old and love it!!! Unfortunately, my wife will be driving it as a dd, I will be driving her Ford Focus as my dd.....

I am 42, the missus 38.... Mid life chrisis, hell yeah!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey Walter if your in Queensland join the Queensland 86 BRZ owners face book page.

You will need to provide authentication your an owner though as it is a close 300+ community which always has something on in various areas.

If your in another state they each have a similar setup.