wtf

"Cricket" sound from engine.. mine just started.. Common fault?

So the car has ticked over 600kms, and today I just noticed the "cricket" noise that all the USA forums are talking about..

Here is a video of exactly what it sounds like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o-evv4VPCU&feature=player_embedded

Some people have had toyota claim its the direct injection system, but WHY did it only just start up?

I was at the dealer today and their demo model with 1800kms on it does NOT make this sound.

It seems around 75% of the USA guys are reporting the cricket noise..

Anyone else having the same noise?

It has been mentioned it could be caused by ethanol in fuel, but I am unable to confirm this.

Does the manual state anywhere that ethanol additive in service station fuel (eg the 10% ethanol fuel that places sell) can't be used?

pretty sure there is something about 98 only , i was told no ethanol, just 98RON

Some service stations dont have straight out 98 ron, one I went to (but avoided) had 95 with 10% ethanol, and 100 octane with 10% ethanol.

ah that sucks man!! Mine isn't making that sound. I've only ever put BP 98 Ultimate in the 86 since I got it. I hope Toyota resolves this issue quickly!

change fuel.

As stated in the US thread, the noise is from a washer in the direct injection pump. Some fuels lubricate it better than others.

I will change fuel.. see if that fixes..

The USA guys were saying their service stations don't always reveal if they are using ethanol or not..

sounds like fuel issue, same with the US guys , once they change the fuel or add octane booster it goes away

what did the dealer say ?

Dealer didn't know, just said their demo model never had it happen.

refilled with ultimate, cricket sound is gone.

Hi I am a new owner of a used 86 (MY2014) since last week and I have read a lot of threads, mostly from the US, regarding this issue. so I am just wondering if you are still getting the cricket noise or the BP fuel does the trick? I even go as far as opening a thread about this problem just to look for solutions since there aren't many Australian owners reporting this problem.

My thread: http://www.86forums.com.au/index.php?/topic/3885-so-called-cricket-noise-on-86brz/

Thanks in advance :)