wtf

DIY: Modifying the VALENTI to for parking "V" AND brake FLASHER (F1 race style)

Hey guys,

This one is mostly thanks to HAWK's DIY, that showed how to make the PARKING LIGHT "V" independent of the FOG LIGHT. I have included some of HAWK's images in this DIY as a number of things were identical and he did such a good job, I borrowed his images :P

*** You will need to be logged in to see the pictures! ***

This guide is for those who have purchased an aftermarket Valenti lights.. These are available here:

http://streetfx.com....category_id=193

*** CLICK PICS BELOW FOR FULL SIZE ***

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSsHzfdmD3U

Time required: around an hour

What you need:

Soldering iron

Solder

Heatshrink

Electrical tape

Philips Screw driver

Flat screw driver (for the fitting to the car stage, refer to the other DIY)
Splice connectors (or you can solder these in if you dont want to use the splice connectors)

2m of coloured wire (I just grabbed a small roll of orange wire from Jaycar)

The AIM:

Since I race my car, I wanted to take it a step further and still retain the "TRIPLE FLASH" of the foglight "triangle" when the brakes are applied (F1 car style :P)

My initial plan was to make it so that this functionality would completely replace the foglight altogether, however on the track in the rain, or in inclement weather the foglight could actually be useful, not to mention for roadworthy purposes it may still be needed if the cops were being jackasses. I also was not sure how bright the foglight was at the back of the car, and was a bit concerned that having it act as a flashing brakelight ALL THE TIME could be annoying to commuters behind me. I will still gloss over how to enable that functionality though if anyone is keen.

The Valenti light has the following sections:

"The V" (factory this comes on with the foglight)

"The Triangle" (this acts as the foglight)

"Reverse lights" (self explanatory)

descrip.jpg

Anyway, there are a few options here:

1) "V" on with the foglight only, Foglight flashing when brake applied (this is the factory Valenti option)

2) "V" on with the parkers, Triangle on with the foglight switch

3) "V" on with the parkers, Triangle on with foglight switch, Triangle flashing with the brakes (only when the foglight is on)

4) "V on with the parkers", Triangle acting as an extra low level brake light that does the "triple flash" whenever you hit the anchors (but no longer acts as a foglight)

5) "V" on with the parkers, Triangle acting as an extra low level brake light that does the "triple flash" whenever you hit the anchors, AND ALSO triangle as a foglight

Option 1 is the factory Valenti option. No modification required. Just splice the extra red wire into your brake lights.

Option 2 requires only to follow HAWK's thread here: http://www.86forums.com.au/index.php?/topic/1634-valenti-reversing-light-v-as-position-light-mod/

Option 3 will require an extra wire (as per this DIY). This is the option that I did personally, so I will step you through it.

Option 4 will not require an extra wire, but you would need to jumper the FLASHER to the FOG inside the Valenti unit, and then remove the FOG wire from the harness inside the cabin and splice that into your BRAKE light wire instead of the fog wire.

Option 5 would require an extra wire (as per this DIY), AS WELL AS a diode to stop feedback from the foglight lighting up your brake lights. If this needs explanation, then I probably suggest you skip over option 5 and just go with the simple stuff :P Otherwise you will end up with brake lights turning on when your fog lights are on and so forth.

Now I had already done HAWK's modification, so I could have just left the red wire where it was (attached to the flasher), but I had snipped the "V" wire and connected it to that.. Instead of doing that, you can leave the RED wire on the flasher, and just ADD another wire to use for Hawk's parker modification.

Here is how to do OPTION 3:

1) Open up the light (first few pics of this process are credit to HAWKs guide)

3.jpg

2.jpg

2a.jpg

4.jpg

2) There is already provision for a 4th wire into the fog/reverse assembly, however it does not go all the way through. Just use a blade to make it so it goes all the way through

13.jpg

14.jpg

3) Measure the bit of wire you want to make it so it is the same length as the "red" wire already on the Valenti fog/reverse module, cut it to length and then feed your wire down the tube. This is a bit of a pain and takes the longest.. I fed it down around 20cm at a time, and then made a small incision so I could pull it through and feed the next 20cm. Do this til you have it all the way to the other end. If you cheated like me and made the incisions, be sure to use electrical tape to cover up the incisions you make. With enough patience you may be able to do the whole stretch without cuts, but I am lazy :P

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

4)  Snip the "V" CCFL connector and solder it to the extra wire you just fed through. In the image you will see that I soldered it the new wire to the "flasher" instead. This is because as I mentioned earlier, I already had done HAWK's modification. If you do my modification from the start, you dont need to snip the red wire at all, as it will already connect to the flasher. Either way, all you need to make sure is the following: 1x wire goes to the flasher, 1x wire goes to the CCFL "V". You need to snip the Blue "V" wire so it is no longer connected to the FOG light inside the housing. This is explained in Hawk's DIY, and his pic is here:

6.jpg

9.jpg

Please remember that in Hawk's diagrams he connects the BLUE "V" wire to the "special red" wire. We don't need to do that, we can just solder the blue "V" wire directly to our new wire (in my diagrams, the orange wire we just threaded into the housing). So in these pics, just imagine that is what we have done, and disregard the colours of the wires here ;)

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

19.jpg

Again, please do not be confused by the images above, just imagine that my orange wire is going to the "V" and the red wire is going to it's original spot on the flasher. It is only because I had already modified my lights that there was a bit of a switcheroo going on there.

5) Get a power supply and test the wires do what they are supposed to.. A) Test the new wire activates the "V", B) test the Foglight wire activates the triangle, then C) with the Foglight AND the "special red" wire BOTH connected, the triangle should flash three times (simulating the brake coming on)

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

6) Now reassemble the unit, making sure you dont trap any of the wires in the screws. You can tape them out of the way if you like, I didn't bother.

7) Now go to your car and follow the instructions for removing the reverse/foglight here: http://www.86forums.com.au/index.php?/topic/1891-diy-installing-aftermarket-valenti-fogreverse-lights-removerefit/

8) Once you have fitted up the new light into place, thread the loom into the cabin  (on the left hand side of the boot).

33.jpg

9) Pull the loom until you get to the rubber bung, then push that into place til its locked in and sealing the boot nicely. 

10) Plug the loom into the connector (dont worry about the two extra wires just yet), and test that everything is working.. Reverse and fog is all you can test for now until the two extra wires and spliced in.

11) Remove the extra trim on the left hand side of the boot behind the tail light so you can access the plug into the tail light.. Same process here just use a flat blade to pop the clip off.

12) Unplug the tail light plugs (I have Valenti tail lights in mine, so decided rather than splicing into the factory loom, I would splice into the Valenti loom. I should have added some bullet connectors here but I didn't have any handy. This would mean that if I needed to remove the tails in future, I wouldnt need to remove the splicing. I will go back and add bullet connectors at a  later date. Thanks to Hawk's instructions I was able to identify the PARK and BRAKE lights on the factory loom. The colours change when they go into the Valenti tails, but you can easily work out which one to splice into.

34.jpg

34a.jpg

13) Now I used splice connectors to cut into the park and brake lights. I don't really like using splice connectors, but its the quickest way of doing it. A better way would be to solder extra female bullet connectors in there, but I wanted to be able to revert later. What's mostly important with splice connectors is ensuring a good connection.

35.jpg

36.jpg

And now are are done!!

37.jpg

I have made a daytime and nighttime video of this which I will upload shortly.

5.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

18.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

25a.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

descrip.jpg

Good stuff! I've been thinking about doing a write up for how to do this but now I don't have to :) I'm going to pull mine apart and do this when I start my Sonar tail modifying.

Mark, did you find an easy way to undo that clip that holds the reverse light onto the bumper?

Good stuff! I've been thinking about doing a write up for how to do this but now I don't have to :) I'm going to pull mine apart and do this when I start my Sonar tail modifying.

Mark, did you find an easy way to undo that clip that holds the reverse light onto the bumper?

I broke mine long ago.. so I guess the answer to that is no :P

how did you unclip yours?

Finally got Option 3 installed on a USDM BRZ.. with CORRECT fog functionality (I hate people using it as a brake light!)

Threw together a very high level overview of the wiring and how the lights function.
Thanks OP for the original direction, found out they needed some tweaking though :)

Finally got Option 3 installed on a USDM BRZ.. with CORRECT fog functionality (I hate people using it as a brake light!)

Threw together a very high level overview of the wiring and how the lights function.

Thanks OP for the original direction, found out they needed some tweaking though :)

I did the Option 3 install as well.  I have a USDM BRZ.  And like you I didn't have power to the fob light. I watched your video, can you give me a little bit better directions as to where to wire it in, in the engine bay please sir.  Thanks in advance!

I just realised that Mark is refering to the V as CCFL.  It's actually 50 LEDs lighting up a plastic lens that has a thin white coating on the inside so the light is uniform.

IMG_4043_zps71fce6e1.jpg

I did the Option 3 install as well.  I have a USDM BRZ.  And like you I didn't have power to the fob light. I watched your video, can you give me a little bit better directions as to where to wire it in, in the engine bay please sir.  Thanks in advance!

Totally! So that yellow wire that you rigged up in the trunk that goes allllll the way through the firewall and into the engine is spliced into the front Left Fog Light positive wire. to test your wiring before you actually splice into that front fog light wire you can disconnect the front left fog light and then have your new yellow wire touching the positive connector on that harness :D

so what SHOULD happen if its wired correctly:

lights on + Fog lights on = rear fog light on

lights on + fog lights on + brakes applied = Rear fog light flashes 3 times then stays solid.

if you turn off your fog lights... the rear fog light turns off too!

Sorry - I would just like to confirm something (before I stuff up and cut/solder things wrong)

I have just ordered in Valenti tail lights and the Valenti fog light. They are both unmodified and therefore I would like to confirm as there are no pictures.

What I want is:

- When parkers are on - only V light is illuminated

- When fogs are on - V light and Triangle light are illuminated

- When fogs are off and braking - nothing happens (unless parkers are on, in which V light stays illuminated)

- When fogs are on and braking - Triangle light flashes 3 times, then solid.

Based on what you've written, this should be as simple as:

- Running a wire down into the fog light that is as long as the red special wire

- Cutting the blue wire that connects the V to the triangle

- Connecting that blue wire with the wire you just added.

You then splice the special red wire into a brake wire, and you splice the wire you added into a position/parker wire

Have I got this down correct?

Thanks in advance and apologies for necro-ing an old thread

Yes you have it all correct except the V light will not come on with the fog light.  It is only activated by the parkers (position lights).

Just note that the wiring may have changed slightly in the Reverse light unit.  http://i.imgur.com/X8e0Dy6.jpg see the bottom of my thread for details http://www.86forums.com.au/index.php?/topic/1634-valenti-reversing-light-v-as-position-light-mod/

The post is meant to be revived from time to time for updates etc so no apologies for reviving it.

Yes you have it all correct except the V light will not come on with the fog light.  It is only activated by the parkers (position lights).

Just note that the wiring may have changed slightly in the Reverse light unit.  http://i.imgur.com/X8e0Dy6.jpg see the bottom of my thread for details http://www.86forums.com.au/index.php?/topic/1634-valenti-reversing-light-v-as-position-light-mod/

The post is meant to be revived from time to time for updates etc so no apologies for reviving it.

Yup - I didn't realize that you could turn the fogs on without headlights/parkers! When I get them in I'll see which one I get and if it's the new board (or even the old board) I'll try to post some pictures!

Here are some pictures of the mod - it is to the specs of option 3, I believe. To reiterate:

- When parkers are on - only V light is illuminated

- When fogs are on - V light and Triangle light are illuminated

- When fogs are off and braking - nothing happens (unless parkers are on, in which V light stays illuminated)

- When fogs are on and braking - Triangle light flashes 3 times, then solid.

Also, I can't turn on my fog lights until at least my parkers/headlights are on - therefore if the fog/triangle light is on, the V will be on too.

Here are the images with descriptions:

http://imgur.com/a/S2m6Q

Finally, the special red wire that came with the lights is hooked to a brake line, and the new white wire I've added is spliced into a parker/position wire!

Hi, I have the JDM version. It only has 3 wires. How can I do option 3 if mine doesn't have 4 wires? 1 wire is for the reverse light, 1 wire is for both the parking light and the fog/brake light, and 1 wire is to make the fog/brake light flash whenever I press on the brakes. 

Hey just installed mine. Now for some reason the VBar comes on with parkers and the triangle comes on with Fogs. But my reverse lights do not work at all.

I plugged my OEM Reverse lights back in and they do not work either?

Im guessing a fuse has blown or the connectivity is botched.

Help appreciated

So i have a USDM Scion FR-S (Toyota GT86, Toyota 86) and attempted option 4, but the triangle allows too many amps to flow through the brake light wiring system in the car and blew my fuse (7.5A). I tried it with a 10A to see if anything would happen and it blew that one too. That last part surprised me because it is pre wired in parallel with the 'V' light and the running lights/parkers are on a 10A fuse themselves. confusing stuff. I guess ill have to add a resistor if i want to run option 4. Anyone got any ideas on how much resistance i need to add to reduce the amperage?

For option 4 with the updated wiring/circuit board...

Cut green from triangle and solder to a 4th wire (Just push a screw driver through space in the grommet and insert wire) that connects to vehicle parking lamps wire.
Connect “special red” to vehicle brake lights
Jump “stop” to “fog” on circuit board

lFKI5gT.jpg

For option 4 with the updated wiring... This is correct right?

Cut green from triangle and solder to a new installed wire that connects to vehicle parking lamps

Connect “special red” to vehicle brake lights

Jump “stop” to “fog” on circuit board

lFKI5gT.jpg

Just an update, this is the correct wiring for V bar on with parking lights, and triangle only comes on and flashes when braking.