Sign in to follow this  
Timmy86

Do they Like To Be Revved?

depends, if you are bothering to "run your car in" then keep it to the manual

if you are not worried about this or are past the run in period, my advice is find an on ramp to a highway, leave it in second gear, rev it till it hits the limiter and you "hit the max power" available. now you know the limit toyota set you from the factory.

now go as close to that limit as you like as often as you like......

(advice above is what i do, and might not be what others do)

depends, if you are bothering to "run your car in" then keep it to the manual

if you are not worried about this or are past the run in period, my advice is find an on ramp to a highway, leave it in second gear, rev it till it hits the limiter and you "hit the max power" available. now you know the limit toyota set you from the factory.

now go as close to that limit as you like as often as you like......

(advice above is what i do, and might not be what others do)

mines a used one, done 20,000. sdo passed the run in period.. haha

Yeah, I prefer the soft limiter rather than the hard cut. hitting a hard limiter is a real slut when trying to get lap times, throws you off your game majorly. although soft limiter has its pros and cons like everything in the world, I prefer it. as for the topic post, damage only occurs after the "redline" which is why theres a limiter. unless youre sitting on 7.5k constantly for about 5 minutes

Kept it between 5 and 7 the whole time driving up the back of Glorious last

......................................within speed limits of course

Plus Lakeside on Saturday, hit 8 grand a couple of times on the downshift to the first corner... whoops

7400. But if your double clutching and not granny shifting like you should then you could easily jam it in 2nd on a downshift and force it to over rev!

I'm not sure i'm reading your comment right (Grammar is your friend!), but ill say to you what other double-clutching enthusiasts nowadays don't seem to get; "synchromesh"

I'm not sure i'm reading your comment right (Grammar is your friend!), but ill say to you what other double-clutching enthusiasts nowadays don't seem to get; "synchromesh"

You're not reading it right...it was clearly and fast and furious reverse reference quote.

But on that topic... Sychros will only do so much, if you really want to force a car into a gear it shouldn't really be in, avoid compression lock on aggressive downshifts or save wear on sychros I'll say something to you that internet thread regurgitators and bandwagonners don't get "double clutch."

Ps. I understand grammar.

Ok here is a spin on this...

Do they need to be rev'ed ?

My wife's 86 will be lucky to ever hit 5000rpm as it is basically a daily city car.... gets her between home and work.... we were considering a rx8 before going with the 86 and one of the reasons we went for the 86 is that a rx8 needs a weekly trashing...

Ok here is a spin on this...

Do they need to be rev'ed ?

My wife's 86 will be lucky to ever hit 5000rpm as it is basically a daily city car.... gets her between home and work.... we were considering a rx8 before going with the 86 and one of the reasons we went for the 86 is that a rx8 needs a weekly trashing...

funny you say that, the guy I work with just bought his wife an rx8 and they were tossing up between that and an 86. but shes a bit of a rev head so it probably gets that thrashing it apparently needs

Revs and engine wear: the factor here is piston speed. Over a certain piston speed, wear becomes an issue. I don't know the revs  for this is in say the 86 x 86 (bore x stroke) Subaru motor, but in the classic Datsun 1600  from the late 1960's was 4,200 rpm. I could work out the piston speed from that given I could recall the bore and stroke. I can't! Used to be given  in feet / minute. The Motor magazines then would routinely report the max piston speed at max power as a sort of reference.

Doubtless oils have improved allowing higher piston speeds but the laws of physics haven't. If I can dig up more info on this I'll post it. Engine capacity, # of cylinders, stroke vs bore length all come into it. ( eg short stroke, largish bore, "over square", means for each rev of the crank shaft, a given piston moves a shorter distance compared with an engine of identical capacity, but with longer stroke, and narrower bore. Get it? Clear as mud).

Anyway it is an interesting topic, and any genius's out there should get on line and give a dissertation!

Notice when you hit over 6k rpm this thing really finds its power. As long as you're past the break-in, but I definitely think toyota made these things so that their real potential comes out at  6krpm+ 

Notice when you hit over 6k rpm this thing really finds its power. As long as you're past the break-in, but I definitely think toyota made these things so that their real potential comes out at 6krpm+

You mean Subaru, right? It's a Subaru engine.

You're not reading it right...it was clearly and fast and furious reverse reference quote.

But on that topic... Sychros will only do so much, if you really want to force a car into a gear it shouldn't really be in, avoid compression lock on aggressive downshifts or save wear on sychros I'll say something to you that internet thread regurgitators and bandwagonners don't get "double clutch."

Ps. I understand grammar.

Have to say I'm a big fan of the double clutch but more specifically the throttle blip on down changes including heal-toe. Not only does it look cool it is actually quite practical.