GTS Blonde

GTS Blonde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Hi sunnyyduong,

You will find much discussion and information in this thread about the project.

The most useful posts for installing the TomTop unit however are:

Blue8T6 - (Posts #79 & #80) which have excellent photos and notes on the correct procedure to remove the door card etc, identifying the 86 wiring loom and the best place to mount the unit.

wjamin - (Post #83) which has the correct instructions (ignore instructions in Post #80) and a useful colour coded diagram on how to connect the TomTop unit to the 86 wiring loom.

GTS Blonde - (Post #114) which lists my husband's comments and tips following his successful installation in my GTS seven months ago.

From what I remember of my husband's efforts, he studied the relevant posts very carefully for a few days until he understood everything, made sure he had all the necessary tools etc and set aside a weekend in the garage so there was no pressure (he actually only needed one day). My set up is still working fine.

Good Luck!

• Travb81 likes this

brzzzzz

brzzzzz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Great job,I am trying to install my one, but it is bit different to yours, my one need to connect 3 wires, one with power, one with lock wire, one with unlock wire, I have no idea which one connect to which. Can you help me out. Appreciated.
  • GTS Blonde likes this

GTS Blonde

GTS Blonde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Hi brzzzzz,

If you have the Subaru factory unit, you will need advice from those on the forum who have installed it (from what I have read, the installation of these should be plug and play, even if they have modified it).

If you have the TomTop unit, I'm afraid you will just have to carefully read each of the posts I have listed above in Post #161. These contain the best information on the forum from members who have successfully installed the TomTop unit. If TomTop has changed the wiring, I'm afraid you are in new territory unfortunately.

Again, I repeat my husband's advice: If you are not sure which wires to connect to, you have to use a test light and operate the lock etc to identify the correct live wire in each instance. If you are not comfortable with this, it is far safer (and possibly cheaper) in the long run to let an auto electrician do it rather than stuff up your electricals.

Good Luck.

• brzzzzz likes this

azonic

azonic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Bit of an almighty thread bump here but I have picked up a $10 cheapie from Ebay that appears to be the same as the TomTop unit, and most of the images in this thread are now nuked thanks to photobucket. Anyone got the originals by chance?

• GTS Blonde likes this

GTS Blonde

GTS Blonde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Bit of an almighty thread bump here but I have picked up a $10 cheapie from Ebay that appears to be the same as the TomTop unit, and most of the images in this thread are now nuked thanks to photobucket. Anyone got the originals by chance?

Hi azonic,

The unit is a generic one widely available generally through Chinese online distributors (so TomTop is just one of many distributors, not the manufacturer). I never posted any images, but I will chase up the instruction page that came with the TomTop-supplied unit that my husband successfully installed, plus another page which has a small B&W photo of the unit. At least it may help you confirm if the unit is the generic one that all the installation advice found on this thread refers to. I'll post the attachment separately if it doesn't work with this reply

• Hawk likes this

GTS Blonde

GTS Blonde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Hi azonic,

Looks as if the attachment didn't work first try, so here is Take 2. Attached File  TomTop - 86 mirrors folding loom.pdf   1.93MB   16 downloads

• Hawk and azonic like this

azonic

azonic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi azonic,

Looks as if the attachment didn't work first try, so here is Take 2. attachicon.gif TomTop - 86 mirrors folding loom.pdf

Thank you for this GTS Blonde - appreciate the effort! I have the first page (identical) but it was some of the pictures in this thread that showed which of the car wires to splice into, were no longer viewable due to photobucket locking down access. I since found a plugin for Chrome that restores them so they are viewable again! I'm planning to have a crack at the install this weekend, just need to pickup a test light and some heatshrink. I planned to take photos and make a how to guide that I'll upload again if others start looking to do this as well, as there had been a bit of renewed interest on the facebook groups again.

• GTS Blonde likes this

Speedisfun

Speedisfun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Sorry to awake this thread again in general but I am seeking help out of confusion, I have a LHD car and all you guys have RHD so my question is are the wire colors the same or it differs? 

• GTS Blonde likes this

GTS Blonde

GTS Blonde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Sorry to awake this thread again in general but I am seeking help out of confusion, I have a LHD car and all you guys have RHD so my question is are the wire colors the same or it differs? 

You wouldn't think so Speedisfun, but then again, I vaguely recall some discussion on this topic years ago ??

While I have no definitive answer, I have three pieces of advice:

1. If you have not already done so, thoroughly read Posts 79, 80 and 83 in this thread for the best installation details

2. Ditto Post 114 for comments and tips following a successful installation

3. Follow the 'golden rule' advice in Post 114 and always use a test light to identify the correct wires (if the light comes on when you operate a function, it is the correct wire, even on the rare occasion where the colour does not match the installation instructions.

Mine's still working perfectly by the way.

Good Luck

Speedisfun

Speedisfun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

You wouldn't think so Speedisfun, but then again, I vaguely recall some discussion on this topic years ago ??

While I have no definitive answer, I have three pieces of advice:

1. If you have not already done so, thoroughly read Posts 79, 80 and 83 in this thread for the best installation details
2. Ditto Post 114 for comments and tips following a successful installation
3. Follow the 'golden rule' advice in Post 114 and always use a test light to identify the correct wires (if the light comes on when you operate a function, it is the correct wire, even on the rare occasion where the colour does not match the installation instructions.

Mine's still working perfectly by the way.

Good Luck

Hi, thanks a lot for your guiding. I am actually done wiring and I have come across some problems I will type them below, can you please look with your husbands if you he had the same issue.

1st problem and most important one: My window switch for passenger side isn't working at all, when I was done wiring it twitched the window a little bit then stopped, I checked all the fuses etc. they are fine.

2nd problem: Sometimes the driver side window switch doesn't function properly in other words, when I take down the window it works, but sometimes taking the window up doesn't work and when the car door is open on driver side it doesn't work either.

3rd problem and a minor one: When the side mirrors are folded after locking the door, when i unlock the car and then open the door and shut it, it unfolds the mirrors.

4th problem: I didn't really understood the output and input close/open mirror wires and does the mirror fold switch needs to be pressed or not?

Ps. Also if I lock my doors while the car is on with the lock switch button on driver side, it folds the mirrors...
  • GTS Blonde likes this

GTS Blonde

GTS Blonde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Hi, thanks a lot for your guiding. I am actually done wiring and I have come across some problems I will type them below, can you please look with your husbands if you he had the same issue.

1st problem and most important one: My window switch for passenger side isn't working at all, when I was done wiring it twitched the window a little bit then stopped, I checked all the fuses etc. they are fine.

2nd problem: Sometimes the driver side window switch doesn't function properly in other words, when I take down the window it works, but sometimes taking the window up doesn't work and when the car door is open on driver side it doesn't work either.

3rd problem and a minor one: When the side mirrors are folded after locking the door, when i unlock the car and then open the door and shut it, it unfolds the mirrors.

4th problem: I didn't really understood the output and input close/open mirror wires and does the mirror fold switch needs to be pressed or not?

Ps. Also if I lock my doors while the car is on with the lock switch button on driver side, it folds the mirrors...

My husband just advised me that, as the fuses are OK, and assuming the unit is not faulty and that the wiring is the same on your LHD car (as on my RHD car), these problems are most likely caused by incorrect connections when the  TomTop unit was wired to the car's loom, or loose connections, or a combination of both.

He suggests you have a very good look at Post 83, particularly the wiring diagram (which is the correct advice, as it worked for him) and then meticulously go back over everything you have done step by step, testing each function and connection with a test light to hopefully find the incorrect (or maybe even loose) connection or connections. Study the colours very carefully as some of the wires in the car's loom are very similar, as he mentioned in Post 114. Again, he suggests you read his Post 114 about some of the interesting issues he encountered, especially about some choices you have to make with the wiring colours, in particular making sure that you only make the connection to the car's Pink Wire right behind the actual door lock (you will need to add a piece of wire to extend the TomTop wire to reach it).

Also, even if all the wiring has been rectified, you may still find the windows are out of sync, which is a common issue. This is usually remedied by the following:

1. Turn ignition on

2. Open both doors

3. Close both doors

4. Turn ignition of, then on again.

He wasn't too sure about your minor issue with the mirror control button, which again may be affected by a faulty connection. Since he installed the TomTop unit I have never touched that button again as the mirrors just simply close when i lock either door and open when I hit the start button, as intended.

Hopefully this may help you further, otherwise my husband suggests a visit to an auto electrician may be your only alternative (rather than risk costly damage to the electrical system).

Once more .. Good Luck from both of us.

Speedisfun

Speedisfun

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

My husband just advised me that, as the fuses are OK, and assuming the unit is not faulty and that the wiring is the same on your LHD car (as on my RHD car), these problems are most likely caused by incorrect connections when the  TomTop unit was wired to the car's loom, or loose connections, or a combination of both.

He suggests you have a very good look at Post 83, particularly the wiring diagram (which is the correct advice, as it worked for him) and then meticulously go back over everything you have done step by step, testing each function and connection with a test light to hopefully find the incorrect (or maybe even loose) connection or connections. Study the colours very carefully as some of the wires in the car's loom are very similar, as he mentioned in Post 114. Again, he suggests you read his Post 114 about some of the interesting issues he encountered, especially about some choices you have to make with the wiring colours, in particular making sure that you only make the connection to the car's Pink Wire right behind the actual door lock (you will need to add a piece of wire to extend the TomTop wire to reach it).

Also, even if all the wiring has been rectified, you may still find the windows are out of sync, which is a common issue. This is usually remedied by the following:

1. Turn ignition on

2. Open both doors

3. Close both doors

4. Turn ignition of, then on again.

He wasn't too sure about your minor issue with the mirror control button, which again may be affected by a faulty connection. Since he installed the TomTop unit I have never touched that button again as the mirrors just simply close when i lock either door and open when I hit the start button, as intended.

Hopefully this may help you further, otherwise my husband suggests a visit to an auto electrician may be your only alternative (rather than risk costly damage to the electrical system).

Once more .. Good Luck from both of us.

Hey thanks a lot for you kind advises, I managed  to fix it all by googling around a little bit, first problem got fixed by resetting the windows, second was a follow up and got fixed in process, third its the modules smart way to protect the motors of side mirrors so it doesn't fold unfold it all the time and the 4th it was different on my side the wiring for close and open, for me it was Grey wire with yellow with green or brown  on switch side& White wire with yellow with black or blue on switch side.

A little clearance for those who might do this in future is you can take the Lock & Unlock wire from the loom that goes directly to door lock actuator, just make sure to find the right wires with a test light. It's mid light pink and green just like the harness wires on actuator. 

• GTS Blonde likes this

GTS Blonde

GTS Blonde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Hey thanks a lot for you kind advises, I managed  to fix it all by googling around a little bit, first problem got fixed by resetting the windows, second was a follow up and got fixed in process, third its the modules smart way to protect the motors of side mirrors so it doesn't fold unfold it all the time and the 4th it was different on my side the wiring for close and open, for me it was Grey wire with yellow with green or brown  on switch side& White wire with yellow with black or blue on switch side.

A little clearance for those who might do this in future is you can take the Lock & Unlock wire from the loom that goes directly to door lock actuator, just make sure to find the right wires with a test light. It's mid light pink and green just like the harness wires on actuator. 

Great outcome Speedisfun, I'm sure you are relieved. If my experience is anything to go by, that cheap little TomTop unit will give you reliable service for years to come (as long as you don't overuse it to amuse yourself :P).

I'll let my 'other half' know that the information he provided, and that I posted on this thread years ago, continues to benefit 86 owners like yourself doing this upgrade.

Glad we could help.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gt86, BRZ, Automatic, Fold, Side, Mirrors, DIY

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)