• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

wjamin

wjamin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Just want to confirm that the above definitely works.  Here are my cabling:

I did not connect the green wire as I prefer the mirror to unfold when I turn on the ignition instead of unfolding when I unlock the door.

For the blue and brown wires, tape up the wires going to the switch.  This is no longer needed.

Edit: delete wiring chart as it had a typo

• GTS Blonde likes this

Blue8T6

Blue8T6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • LocationGoulburn, NSW

I'm hoping someone can help with this!  My bf and I tried to install this and apparently we are numpties - every time we plugged the black box in it blew the mirror fuse (when we took the black box bit off and replaced the fuse the mirrors work again via the button).  This is how we wired it up -

Tomtopautofoldingmirrorcablingourinstall

We couldn't see how you can put two wired already assigned elsewhere into one point?  We must be missing something somewhere.

I also think we might have connected via the wrong part of the loom?  The look comes out of the door and splits into two - one for the top of the panel which has the mirror adjustment button and one for the bottom half which has the window open part.  If I remember rightly my bf used the top(?) half ot the sectioned loom (the one that goes to where the manual mirror open/close button is).

My choices currently are 1) try and fix it 2) take it out and chuck it away 3) take it to an autoelectrician (very doubtful).

As wiser people have done this successfully I'm hoping someone will shed some light (and possibly photos??) on what we're doing wrong!

• Mr JC 86 likes this

wjamin

wjamin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

My apologies, I had a typo in the initial wiring diagram... I listed two brown wire in the original wiring diagram..

You are blowing fuses because you are joining two positive wires together...

Here's an updated one that may be clearer.

>>We couldn't see how you can put two wired already assigned elsewhere into one point?  We must be missing something somewhere.

I have attached a picture so you know what I meant.

Attached Files

• GTS Blonde, Mick Evans and Tubby like this

Blue8T6

Blue8T6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • LocationGoulburn, NSW

Thanks heaps.  We ran out of time to fix it this weekend but will try next week and let you know how it goes :)

ucsmfu

ucsmfu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

where can we buy the original plug and play folding unit ? and will the wiring be the same on a North American BRZ ?

thanks

Pacific

Pacific

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMARSEILLE - FRANCE

Revert on this thread to state that it appears that the white and grey wires connections are not correct. In fact the White as to be connected with the Yellow-Black (Blue for LHD) and the Grey to the Yellow-Green (Brown for LHD). This will permit the normal use with ACC on , button pushed the mirror retract and button unpushed mirror return. Please confirm as with your diagram it was the contrary.

On the other hand, although stated on the notice, the system is not disabled when the button is switched  off. Do you encountered the same bug? The system is alway in use. It functions very well with door lock control for open and close but i cannot stop the system.Thanks your advices. 

s2d4

s2d4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

The OEM Part Number is H2717CA000

Interesting garage88 intentionally destroy the sticker to make almost 100% on top of original price from Subaru Japan. 

Hawk

Hawk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 563 posts
  • LocationShelbyville QLD : )

That's normal markup.

2013 C7P 86 GTS AT

1991 Red Celica GT4 Grp A Rallye #069 SOLD :)  :(  :)  :( 

w11

w11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I can confirm the wiring plan works well with the Tomtop device.

Only comment will add is that I wanted the mirrors to unfold when unlocking car. This means connecting the GREEN tomtop wire with the GREEN wire in the upper door loom (behind the red wire you connect to fold in when locking). Works a treat :-D

Pacific

Pacific

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMARSEILLE - FRANCE

Well functionning., have a look.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=R9zz6WFrNdo

• Trap63 likes this

GTS Blonde

GTS Blonde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

You can bet your arse my kit is top quality, because anything that comes out of china that costs more than 99 cents is quality. ;P
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300596467289?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I paid a handsome amount of $10.77 for this kit.

And so did i!
Thanks for the DIY guide Outsider. It's really good.
And i don't really understand why a lot of people are dissing Chinese products. Top quality brands are made in China.
And the eBay sellers are awesome. They are super helpful to refund or send replacement when you get something defected.

And here i go, buy it now. oh yea

Hi Sweep & Pengasus,

Something has changed in the world since you purchased these cheap Chinese units!

I used this link you posted to try and buy one of these TomTop auto folding mirror systems on ebay, but the seller now blocks the sale with a message to the effect that they do not post this item to Australia (click on the link and see for yourselves). I have just emailed the seller to ask why this is so and if they have an Australian distributor now? (it seems this is the only product in their extensive catalog that they don't post to Australia?). They may have even appointed an exclusive Australian distributor or maybe they breached some agreement with Subaru or Toyota, who knows?

While I'm waiting on their reply - did either of you guys encounter this problem when you purchased your systems last year? If so, how did you get around it?  Also, do any 'ebay experts' out there know how to get around this issue?

I don't mind spending $15 on this unit, (plus an extra $150 for an auto electrician) to have automatically folding mirrors, but I'll pass on the project if my only option is $250 for a factory Subaru unit - I have more important 86 projects to spend $400 on.

Cheers

Kris

Mick Evans

Mick Evans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hi GTS Blonde I recon its got to do with the return policy here in Australia it states...

Refunds by law: In Australia, consumers have a legal right to obtain a refund from a business for goods purchased if the goods are faulty, not fit for purpose or don't match description. More information at returns.

Perhaps he had ones going back and since the seller needs to pay for return postage its probably not worth his time and effort.

I wonder if anyone here has had any issues since installing this part?

Yesterday I found all these suppliers who are still delivering to Australia just picking one with a high rating is pretty safe and theres only a few cents difference between them I think the 2nd in the list may be a goer as hes giving 12mths warranty where everyone does 6mths.

http://www.ebay.com....cat=0&_from=R40

I nearly bought the 2nd one for $12 but I saw this post by guicamacho (post  #17) which intrigued me to find out a little more...

I paid $38 for mine. I think the only difference between original kit and cheap ones are that original comes with plug and play wiring, and cheap you will have to find each wire spot.

So I sent guicamacho a PM to try and get more info on it as perhaps it has some plugs rather than all soldering for the extra cash, but he must be busy.

• GTS Blonde likes this

GTS Blonde

GTS Blonde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Hi GTS Blonde I recon its got to do with the return policy here in Australia it states...

Refunds by law: In Australia, consumers have a legal right to obtain a refund from a business for goods purchased if the goods are faulty, not fit for purpose or don't match description. More information at returns.

Perhaps he had ones going back and since the seller needs to pay for return postage its probably not worth his time and effort.

I wonder if anyone here has had any issues since installing this part?

Yesterday I found all these suppliers who are still delivering to Australia just picking one with a high rating is pretty safe and theres only a few cents difference between them I think the 2nd in the list may be a goer as hes giving 12mths warranty where everyone does 6mths.

http://www.ebay.com....cat=0&_from=R40

I nearly bought the 2nd one for $12 but I saw this post by guicamacho (post  #17) which intrigued me to find out a little more...

I paid $38 for mine. I think the only difference between original kit and cheap ones are that original comes with plug and play wiring, and cheap you will have to find each wire spot.

So I sent guicamacho a PM to try and get more info on it as perhaps it has some plugs rather than all soldering for the extra cash, but he must be busy.

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the feedback - you are probably right about those 'refunds by law' regulations putting that particular seller off delivering to Australia. As it turned out, after some extra searching, I ended up buying one from the same Hong Kong site you mentioned ([email protected]) for around $15, including 12 month warranty, postage & tracking, without any problem. It seems all these units are the same and come from TOMTOP wholesale anyway, with drop shippers buying the units in bulk without the TOMTOP logo so they can distribute them under their own brand.

I remember seeing that post from guicamacho too, but assumed that with a price of $38, it was still a cheap one without any connectors, as the original plug and play kits are between $150 and $250 depending if you source one direct from Japan or through an Australian distributor. I'll be really annoyed if the $38 unit is plug and play, as it would have saved a lot of messing around with a soldering iron (although it will be hubby who will be doing the installation anyway :P ).

Just out of interest, please let me know the outcome if you get a response from guicamacho.

Cheers

Kris

Mick Evans

Mick Evans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Thanx Kris will PM you if I hear anything ;)

I was wondering how the auto mirrors behave?

From the expensive wiring looms (PnP) to the cheaper looms (soldering type) is there a difference between them?

To those guys and girls who have made the mod already can you work the mirrors work as manual or are they now always auto?

I read somewhere a guy had a really tight garage (buggered if I know how he gets in and outta the car) but he needed the mirrors to be manually operated before he drove in and out or he would scratch them up or worse.

No one gave him a definitive answer so the guy didn't end up buying the auto mod.

I assume this all still works through the manual button which comes with our cars.

When the button is up its in auto mode (as per the mod) when its depressed its in manual mode (mod is turned off) mirrors fold and stay folded until you release them.

Is this how it works?

If not is it then possible to do it as per my assumption, I would have thought this the obvious way to do it?

• GTS Blonde likes this

DZ 086

DZ 086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

hey guys, where can i get the plug and play unit from? rather not cut wires n such (voiding warranty on car ect if shit goes south)

I've purchased the $12 ebay kit but intend on getting it professionally installed.
the people who will be installing it are actually a 3rd party installer for my local toyota.
despite that fact, would adding this mod actually void any warranty the mirror, or door or any specific area?

is there any special way i have to tell them to wire it up so the mirrors fold upon locking the car/or turning it off (i dont mind) and unfolding when unlocking the car. something to do with a green wire.

@gtsblonde, i also saw that the ebay link didnt post to australia but as you already know, just found a different seller :)

• GTS Blonde likes this

Mick Evans

Mick Evans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I've purchased the $12 ebay kit but intend on getting it professionally installed.
the people who will be installing it are actually a 3rd party installer for my local toyota.
despite that fact, would adding this mod actually void any warranty the mirror, or door or any specific area?

is there any special way i have to tell them to wire it up so the mirrors fold upon locking the car/or turning it off (i dont mind) and unfolding when unlocking the car. something to do with a green wire.

@gtsblonde, i also saw that the ebay link didnt post to australia but as you already know, just found a different seller :)

Hi dz93, from what Ive been told if you do anything that alters the way the car came out originally it can be grounds to void your warranty it largely depends on who installed it. Hence the PnP looms with the plugs already fitted are really the way to go as you are not having to cut and join wires. However in the end of the day if you needed to put a claim in for electrical faults the manufacturer would probably site that as an alteration since they never installed it them self.

Having someone professionally install this for you is more assurance that something won't go wrong but do they guarantee their work?

I guess that's something you will need to ask them.

In the end of the day by having a pro install it gives you peace of mind its been done professionally.

In this thread I found a wiring diagram for the brz post #31 by Eightsix which I have re attached the link for you to give to your pro, the pages to look at are 265 and 292 I recon.

http://www.my-86.com...iring-diagrams/

At the top of this page wjamin #81 has posted his wiring and speaks of the green wire and in below post #83 has also a chart showing which wires are which with pics. Blue8T6 post #79 used the Tomtop unit and has set out the steps he did would be helpful to your Pro maybe too see.

I'll end up doing my mod myself but before I do, I will research best product and way to install then keep my fingers crossed I did the right thing. I will also put up my mod when I get to it if no one has done by then.

Lastly I just had a thought when you get your mod done any chance of taking progress pics of the job?

Then we will have a pro install to go by too?

That will help out a lot of guys and girls me included.  :)

Cheers,  ;)

• GTS Blonde and DZ 086 like this

Pleb

Pleb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
Mick I don't necessarily support fully what you have stated as just because they're a pro you shouldn't jump in 100% that they know what they are doing.

What I would support is that if they did stuff it up, you would have to worry about your warranty with them as the manufacturer would point you in that direction.

Therefore going this path (which is perfectly fine to do) I would like to add to Micks suggestion that you ask around for recommended auto electricians and base your decision off their experience working with the 86 if you can garner that.

Another suggestion is if your in qld shoot a membership request to the Qld BRZ 86 Owners Group on Facebook and tap into this community for assistance you will find they are very helpful and most are members here too. Otherwise you will find similar fb groups in each state. We have sister groups in nsw and Victoria.
  • GTS Blonde and Mick Evans like this
Tornado Grey. All The Way !!!

DZ 086

DZ 086

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Wow Mick, thanks for the dummy proof reply.
You've really said everything you could to help.

As for the intallers, I've used them many times before so I am confident in their work.

I will eventually be getting them to install a nexus 7 for me.

so thanks guys

• GTS Blonde, Pleb and Mick Evans like this

GTS Blonde

GTS Blonde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

My apologies, I had a typo in the initial wiring diagram... I listed two brown wire in the original wiring diagram..

You are blowing fuses because you are joining two positive wires together...

Here's an updated one that may be clearer.

>>We couldn't see how you can put two wired already assigned elsewhere into one point?  We must be missing something somewhere.

I have attached a picture so you know what I meant.

I can confirm the wiring plan works well with the Tomtop device.

Only comment will add is that I wanted the mirrors to unfold when unlocking car. This means connecting the GREEN tomtop wire with the GREEN wire in the upper door loom (behind the red wire you connect to fold in when locking). Works a treat :-D

Thanx Kris will PM you if I hear anything ;)

I was wondering how the auto mirrors behave?

From the expensive wiring looms (PnP) to the cheaper looms (soldering type) is there a difference between them?

To those guys and girls who have made the mod already can you work the mirrors work as manual or are they now always auto?

I read somewhere a guy had a really tight garage (buggered if I know how he gets in and outta the car) but he needed the mirrors to be manually operated before he drove in and out or he would scratch them up or worse.

No one gave him a definitive answer so the guy didn't end up buying the auto mod.

I assume this all still works through the manual button which comes with our cars.

When the button is up its in auto mode (as per the mod) when its depressed its in manual mode (mod is turned off) mirrors fold and stay folded until you release them.

Is this how it works?

If not is it then possible to do it as per my assumption, I would have thought this the obvious way to do it?

Hi wjamin, W11 & Mick Evans,

I have re-read all your posts concerning the wiring in of the cheap 'TomTop automatic side mirrors folding system' and have attempted to distill everything down to the following (but please correct me if I am wrong):

1. The amended wiring connection list, complete with wiring diagram, posted on this thread by wjamin on 23 Aug 2013 at 4.45 pm, is the correct information?

2. If you want the mirrors to unfold when you turn on the ignition and fold when you turn off the ignition (as I do), you DO NOT connect the TomTop's GREEN wire to anything (as shown in that wiring list and diagram)?

3. Those wanting the mirrors to unfold / fold when the door handle is operated need to connect the TomTop's GREEN wire to the GREEN wire in the car's loom?

4. When wired up as shown in wjamin's wiring list and diagram (i.e. mirrors operated by ignition), you can still fold (or unfold) the mirrors manually using the button while the car is running (if for instance you were negotiating a very narrow garage door entry)?

If you guys (or anyone else out there) have actually wired a TomTop in according to the above and it all works as described in points 2 & 4, it would be wonderful to have this confirmed.

Cheers

Kris

• Hawk and Mick Evans like this

Wallyd

Wallyd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Im liking this.... Off to eBay i go......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gt86, BRZ, Automatic, Fold, Side, Mirrors, DIY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users