Gt86 BRZ Automatic Fold Side Mirrors DIY

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

Benz

Benz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hey does anyone know the official subaru part no. for the pnp kit that 88garage is selling?

cheers brendan
  • nicktorious likes this

rbrender

rbrender

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
how much did garage88 charge you for the plug and play kit?

nicktorious

nicktorious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

hey does anyone know the official subaru part no. for the pnp kit that 88garage is selling?

cheers brendan

Excellent question. Does anyone know the answer?
If at 1st you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

michael25

michael25

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

how much did garage88 charge you for the plug and play kit?

it was either 200 or 250. i can't remember.
I'm going to try and do the instal this weekend.
anyone else completed a successful instal?

nicktorious

nicktorious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Hi Michael. Does the item come with any paperwork that has a part number on it?

michael25

michael25

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
M y recollection was that all the paperwork was in Japanese.
I'll have a look tonight and if there's anything that looks like a part number, i'll let you know.
i think it was just diagrams and instructions, and not very helful.

michael25

michael25

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
Job Finished.
And a great big thank you has to go to Outsider. Couldn't have done it without his excellent write up. I'm so happy with the end result. It's a classy finish every time the engine is turned off.
Couple of other things I will mention if anyone else is going to do it.
1. when you take the inside door panel off, remove the two screws that hold the door locking handle, and then just tape the handle somewhere to the door for the time being. keeps it out of the way when you're working.
2. every thing plugs in together perfectly. the one wire that you have to crimp the little black box over, is the top right hand one when you have the door locking mechanism removed and the pins are facing you. make sure the wires all run in the same direction otherwise the unit won't plug back in.
3. The bigger black box that controls the mechanism is too big to try and fit somewhere in the door panel because then the inside door panel won't slip back on. Rather, there is a cavity on the inside door panel behind the drink holder that is an empty space. tape the black box into here and everything will slot into place perfectly.
4. by the way, i couldn't find a part number with the instructions.
definately worth the mucking around. I reckon it would take me all of 30 minutes if I had to do it now.

Benz

Benz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
found a part no Door Mirror Auto system (prod no. H2717CA000) for BRZ x1 - 10,500yen.
  • nicktorious, Pengasus and BurnZ like this

Pengasus

Pengasus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • LocationCairns, QLD

found a part no Door Mirror Auto system (prod no. H2717CA000) for BRZ x1 - 10,500yen.

That's a much more acceptable price. It's on my purchase list now.
If you don't have a grin on your face in an 86, then you're doing it wrong...

6n6.gif

rbrender

rbrender

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Any idea where to order this from?
  • eightsix likes this

Pengasus

Pengasus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • LocationCairns, QLD

Any idea where to order this from?

Rakuten

6n6.gif

nicktorious

nicktorious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Now to learn Japanese so I can buy from one of the many links that have that part number.

Pengasus

Pengasus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • LocationCairns, QLD

Now to learn Japanese so I can buy from one of the many links that have that part number.

Google chrome translate?

6n6.gif

nicktorious

nicktorious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Google chrome translate?

That sort of works. Doesnt help when the text is in an image

nicktorious

nicktorious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
http://item.rakuten....ts/sb-1brz026/
http://global.rakute...s_browsehist_en

Pengasus

Pengasus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • LocationCairns, QLD
I'll buy it next month. Thankfully missus is Japanese so i won't have to bother with google translate :P

6n6.gif

Hawk

Hawk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 562 posts
  • LocationShelbyville QLD : )
Have to get through freight forwarding.

2013 C7P 86 GTS AT

1991 Red Celica GT4 Grp A Rallye #069 SOLD :)  :(  :)  :( 

nicktorious

nicktorious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Have to get through freight forwarding.

Ratuken have freight forwarding so that's easy enough.

Blue8T6

Blue8T6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • LocationGoulburn, NSW

Found this DIY for the budget unit off ebay.  I haven't tested this personally but plan to (soonish) .  All credit to STU from the NSW 86 BRZ Car Club facebook page. (Also, I can't seem to use return to get to a new line so bear with me lol)  

"Auto Folding Side Mirrors. STU’s DIY!

My friends – I am so sorry this guide is not what I wanted it to be. I have uploaded it in Word format so anyone who has a go and is mindful enough to remember the colours can do what I intended and amend this guide so no testing of wires is required. If I find my notes then I will amend the guide myself.

Also, if anyone needs a hand I live in crows nest and have a company in Artarmon where I have space to use as a workshop. I would be more than happy to guide you through it.

I wanted to get my side mirrors to fold whenever I locked the car, it was a habit I was trying to get into but I found I kept turning the ignition off before they were fully folded or even before I hit the button. This little device lets it happen automatically for me.

1-1.jpg  

Before we begin – If your motors burn out from over use, don’t feel free to get in touch with me. If you damage your car, don’t feel free to get in touch with me. This is simply a description of what I have done to my car. This should work on both a BRZ or an 86, as long as you already have power folding mirrors.

I have broken this guide into two parts, Taking off the door, Mounting/Wiring the device. That way you can read over the parts which are relevant to you.

What do you need?

Philips head screwdriver

Flat head screwdriver

Trim picks

Double sided tape – the thick/padded stuff you use for non-flat surfaces

Test light

Scissors/knife/pliers

Soldering iron & Solder

Electrical tape

Removing the Door (Drivers door)

Remove the handle facade with a rag covered flat head screwdriver. You will have to lever this from the bottom right, then carefully work your way upwards to pop the clips. This piece is pretty tight.    2-3.jpg

Remove the 2 screws which are under this facade at the top and bottom of the handle with a Phillips head screwdriver  3-1.jpg4.jpg

Using a trim pick, carefully pop the cover which sits inside the recess for the door opener, then remove the screw below it 5.jpg6.jpg

Using a trim pick or small flat head screwdriver remove the trim pug on the left hand side of the door.  7-1.jpg

Here is the hard part. Working from the left hand side in an anti-clockwise direction, give the door a solid tug, you will be releasing clips all the way around. You will also need to work your hands up the inside of the door to pop a few clips which are towards the middle. You will need to use some force here.   8.jpg

Once you have all the clips off you will need to lift the trim upwards, unclipping all the electricals and the joints for the opening mechanism. 

Mounting/Wiring the Unit

I mounted my unit using double sided take to the bottom edge of the switch panel with the window switches on it. This position does not get in the way of any wiring or speakers and it wont rattle around, it also fits perfectly. Simply put double sided tape on the unit and stick it on.

9.jpg

You will notice there are screws holding this panel on to the door trim, but there are none in my picture. I removed this part while testing the wiring, unfortunately you may also need to do this. Take the screws out, lift the unit up over the areas where the screws are then slide it towards the speaker grill while unclipping the remaining clip.

Carefully open the conduit running from the window/mirror switches, there is a slit in it and if you are careful you can just cut the tape and then open the conduit along the slit.

Here is where it gets crap. I took notes on the correct wiring so you wouldn’t have to do much testing; unfortunately they have buggered off somewhere. You may or may not know how to use an automotive test light, it’s very simple, put the clip to a ground point (I use the bolt holding the door restrictor to the chassis, this works nicely. This table below shows the colours of the wires in the system and what I remember each of them was for;

• Pengasus and Firedrops like this

Blue8T6

Blue8T6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • LocationGoulburn, NSW

12.jpg  10.jpg

Hey Presto! She is wired. Tape it all up then pop your door back on.

11.jpg "  As mentioned, I haven't had a chance to test this yet.  seems pretty legit though.  Will post any updates once I've had a go for myself :)

• ub78, Pengasus and GTS Blonde like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gt86, BRZ, Automatic, Fold, Side, Mirrors, DIY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users