Outsider

Outsider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Hi all,

Took some (extremely rough) pics while installing my 86/BRZ auto-fold side mirror kit, so thought I would do a quick write-up as I could not find any info online on how to do this. As the product suggest, this allows the mirrors to automatically fold in upon pressing the lock button (Or swiping the sensor on the door handle for GTS owners). Then automatically unfold when the car is switched to accessories prior to starting the vehicle.

WARNING: Do this mod at your own risk, I am 100% NOT qualified in anything relating to vehicle electronics and completed this all by guess work :P

Note: A quick thank-you to @Agent86 for picking the kit up for me whilst at Garage88!

Estimated Time: Aprox 15mins

Tools Required:
-Phillips Head screwdriver
-Flat head screwdriver

This is how the kit arrives, included is a complete 'plug-and-play' loom setup with the auto-fold module, plus a few zipties, doublesided tape and a page of Japanese to admire, of which I have no-idea how to interpret....

Attached File  1.JPG   92.24K   284 downloads

Step 1: Removing the drivers side door card.

Attached File  2.JPG   112.07K   243 downloads

This is done by first using a flat head screw driver to pop open the small cap behind the door handle. A phillips head screw can then be removed.

Attached File  3.JPG   99.73K   171 downloads

Next, the plastic cover piece on the arm rest needs to be removed. This is held on by clips and a small lip at the top. So use a small amount of force and from the bottom-up.

Attached File  4.JPG   134.07K   173 downloads

Next, is this black clip thingy (No clue what it's actually called hah), use a flat head screw driver to remove.

Attached File  5.JPG   79.6K   204 downloads

The door card is now just held on by clips around the perimeter of the door, which simply pop out when a small amount of force is applied.

Attached File  6.JPG   103.35K   247 downloads

Unplug the clips to the stock switches and unhook the door handle cables and you will now have complete access to the door.

Attached File  7.JPG   77.97K   259 downloads

Now it is as straight forward as connecting the corresponding plugs to one another.

Attached File  8.JPG   124.66K   258 downloads

Next unplug the clip which connects the door locking mechanism.

Attached File  9.JPG   151.01K   276 downloadsAttached File  Auto mirror wire tap 2.jpg   75.18K   206 downloads Added for clarity.

Now, using the final remaining black wire which runs from the automatic-fold module, split this wire into the pinkish/red wire of the door locking mechanism. (NOT the yellow wire like pictured). The black plastic piece supplied is folded and splits into this wire without the need of any cutting/splitting/soldiering.

Attached File  10.JPG   93.18K   275 downloadsAttached File  Auto mirror wire tap 1.jpg   106.97K   164 downloads Added to illustrate the best route for the wire. 

Finally, attempt to neaten up the wires with the zip-ties provided. Tape the black module box to an area of the door card which will not be affected when re-installed.

Finally, re-install the door card.

Excuse the lack of clarity, found it rather difficult to put into writing what was involved, but it really is a straight forward mod. Happy to expand on anything if anyone has any questions.

• eightsix, Sweep, Sutty and 11 others like this

lame duck

lame duck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Locationnoosa
Brilliant write up outsider - i did find it become a bit technical with the "thingy" but apart from that simple to follow - its good the directions in japanese included the subaru word in english so you could tell which way up the page was.

I too got matty to bring my kit back from sydney but have forgotten the skill necessary to install it and had chris at audio express do the deed for me at the same time he rigged a reverse camera for me- I found out the reason i was in WA when in maleny later that week checking out the cruise for the NOOSA 86 WEEKEND - the position chris placed the GPS aerial in after the work wasnt the perfect position - he rectified it next time in brissy and even bought me a drink to make up for sipping on mine the week before.

Sutty will be pleased with your technical spiel as he too wants to install the auto folding mirrors.
mike
  • Sutty, Outsider and Shunto like this
humour should be taken seriously.

Agent86

Agent86

Forum Guru

• Moderators
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationInner Northside Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Great work Kurt! Nice writeup.
As mentioned in another post, you can purchase the kits through Chris at Audio Express, or if you are in Sydney, from Garage 88. Both will post to you if you can't pick up.
  • Outsider and Glimmerman like this
Matty C.

Velocity Orange 86 GTS AT
Previous: 2010 Aurion Sportivo ZR6 (Ink Black) - moonroof, 18" Kappas; 2007 Camry Sportivo (Inferno Orange), 2005 Camry Sportivo, ... , Gemini, '71 Kombi and '64 VW Beetle!

Sweep

Sweep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • LocationBathurst, NSW
This looks a lot more "Plug 'n'Play" than the $10.77 kit I bought lol
But thanks for the DIY
  • Agent86 likes this
Posted Image

EMAIL: BEZCAMO AT GMAIL.COM
2012 TOYOTA GT 86 | ITS HERE AND I LOVE IT

Agent86

Agent86

Forum Guru

• Moderators
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationInner Northside Brisbane, Qld, Australia

This looks a lot more "Plug 'n'Play" than the $10.77 kit I bought lol
But thanks for the DIY

Yeah, this is the Subaru kit. Did you get the Closer kit?

EDIT: Actually, thinking back, even the fake not so plug n play Closer kit was $160AU before shipping from Japan.
What kit did you actually get??
Matty C.

Velocity Orange 86 GTS AT
Previous: 2010 Aurion Sportivo ZR6 (Ink Black) - moonroof, 18" Kappas; 2007 Camry Sportivo (Inferno Orange), 2005 Camry Sportivo, ... , Gemini, '71 Kombi and '64 VW Beetle!

eightsix

eightsix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Locationmy86.me
Going to place an order for this now!

Wow not for $155!

Pengasus

Pengasus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • LocationCairns, QLD
Where did you buy that kit from?
If you don't have a grin on your face in an 86, then you're doing it wrong...

6n6.gif

Sweep

Sweep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • LocationBathurst, NSW
You can bet your arse my kit is top quality, because anything that comes out of china that costs more than 99 cents is quality. ;P
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300596467289?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I paid a handsome amount of $10.77 for this kit.
  • eightsix, Pengasus, GTS Blonde and 1 other like this
Posted Image

Pengasus

Pengasus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • LocationCairns, QLD

You can bet your arse my kit is top quality, because anything that comes out of china that costs more than 99 cents is quality. ;P
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300596467289?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I paid a handsome amount of $10.77 for this kit.

And so did i!
Thanks for the DIY guide Outsider. It's really good.
And i don't really understand why a lot of people are dissing Chinese products. Top quality brands are made in China.
And the eBay sellers are awesome. They are super helpful to refund or send replacement when you get something defected.

And here i go, buy it now. oh yea
  • Sweep and GTS Blonde like this

6n6.gif

Sweep

Sweep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • LocationBathurst, NSW
Bear in mind, with the cheaper ebay kit the there is a little more scotch clipping or soldering, not plug and play like the more expensive kits.
But I bought the kit and a pack of 60 scotchclips which came to a massive $15 dollars.
  • Pengasus likes this
Posted Image

Pengasus

Pengasus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • LocationCairns, QLD
I already have the stuff for cutting and clipping and attaching so $10.77 it is for me =D

Money saved at some place = Money that can be spend somewhere else such as:

Posted Image
  • Sweep likes this

6n6.gif

eightsix

eightsix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Locationmy86.me
Also ordered the 10.77 item :D
  • Pengasus and GTS Blonde like this

michael25

michael25

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Great work Kurt! Nice writeup.
As mentioned in another post, you can purchase the kits through Chris at Audio Express, or if you are in Sydney, from Garage 88. Both will post to you if you can't pick up.

Well done giuys. Does any one know where the kit can be purchased and / or installed in Melbourne as well? Thanks

nicktorious

nicktorious

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationMelbourne
I'd love to see a write up of the cheap kit.
If at 1st you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Outsider

Outsider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationBrisbane
Thanks for the comments guys, may be having a crack at installing a cheap kit with @guicamacho, if I do, will try remember to take better pics!

As anyone found the vehicles wiring diagram online? Otherwise, playing with a voltmeter to work it out it is :(
  • eightsix and guicamacho like this

eightsix

eightsix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Locationmy86.me

Thanks for the comments guys, may be having a crack at installing a cheap kit with @guicamacho, if I do, will try remember to take better pics!

As anyone found the vehicles wiring diagram online? Otherwise, playing with a voltmeter to work it out it is :(

Oh when are you going to be doing it?!

Keen to help as I just ordered my kit and would like to see how it's done. Happy to be the photograph for the day.
  • Outsider and guicamacho like this

guicamacho

guicamacho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I paid $38 for mine. I think the only difference between original kit and cheap ones are that original comes with plug and play wiring, and cheap you will have to find each wire spot.
  • Mick Evans likes this

eightsix

eightsix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Locationmy86.me

I paid $38 for mine. I think the only difference between original kit and cheap ones are that original comes with plug and play wiring, and cheap you will have to find each wire spot.

I'd be keen to try and solder connectors onto the cheap one.

guicamacho

guicamacho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

I'd be keen to try and solder connectors onto the cheap one.

You guys can come over to place this weekend and have a crack at it, if its worth that much saving I give you the link on ebay .
  • Outsider likes this

Outsider

Outsider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Oh when are you going to be doing it?!

Keen to help as I just ordered my kit and would like to see how it's done. Happy to be the photograph for the day.

You guys can come over to place this weekend and have a crack at it, if its worth that much saving I give you the link on ebay .

What about a group attempt at working it out next weekend?? :P (I'm in Perth this weekend)
  • guicamacho likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gt86, BRZ, Automatic, Fold, Side, Mirrors, DIY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users