Exhaust checks

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

rosco186

rosco186

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Obviously you may get pulled over for a loud exhaust, but would you check if the Cat convertor is there
or not? thinking about getting the either the catless front pipe, or high flow cat but the high flow is more
expensive.
cheers

Harps

Harps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationBrisbane
If you're car is stupidly loud then yes I would be checking the whole system is compliant and you'd most likely be looking at a trip to DOT for a full inspection. Section 133 of the TORUM (vehicle standards and safety) states every vehicle with an internal combustion engine MUST be fitted with a silencing device. Section 135 outlines the levels of a stationary vehicle. In the case of an 86 the loudest it could be is 90dB. The revs the test is done at etc would be determined by the device used.

Ultimately, not all of us (in fact it may even be none of us) have the tools to measure the level of noise/emissions a vehicle puts out.

TORUM (vehicle standards and safety) - http://www.legislati...tOpRUVSSR10.pdf

wtf

wtf

Forum Guru

• Administrators
  • 1,338 posts

If you're car is stupidly loud then yes I would be checking the whole system is compliant and you'd most likely be looking at a trip to DOT for a full inspection. Section 133 of the TORUM (vehicle standards and safety) states every vehicle with an internal combustion engine MUST be fitted with a silencing device. Section 135 outlines the levels of a stationary vehicle. In the case of an 86 the loudest it could be is 90dB. The revs the test is done at etc would be determined by the device used.

Ultimately, not all of us (in fact it may even be none of us) have the tools to measure the level of noise/emissions a vehicle puts out.

TORUM (vehicle standards and safety) - http://www.legislati...tOpRUVSSR10.pdf

Do the DOT actually have roadside ability to test this? I have seen EPA stations set up previously but not sure if it is mainly for trucks or cars as well?

I think it's also some ridiculous fine from the EPA for gutting your cat as well, though I have not heard of any friends actually copping the fine before.

[WTF 86] 2012 Toyota 86, Pearl White
[WTF] 2001 Porsche 986S Convertible
[WTF 4] 1997 Nissan 180SX/S14A hybrid
[WTF 180] 1990 Nissan 180SX/S15 hybrid, RB26 600hp

Sutty

Sutty

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Moderators
  • 691 posts
  • LocationCairns
I know in my neck of the woods, the boys do carry a decibel meter.
I would suggest i you get stopped and checked and exceed the db level you will probably looking at a ticket and defect.

Having a mid-life crisis in my 86

Nafe

Nafe

Forum Guru

• Moderators
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationBrisbane
FYI I have had a roadside emissions test done before..
IMO the 2hp you will gain from deleting the cat ARE NOT worth the risk....
  • Bren likes this

Bren

Bren

Forum Guru

• Moderators
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationToowoomba
I agree with what Nafe said. I remember watching an old Option DVD years ago and they did a test to see how beneficial removing a cat converter was. I believe the car in question was a 500hp+ at the wheels GT-R, and even a car of that spec, running quite high boost, only gained 7rwhp from running no cat. In a car such as a N/A 86, you would not feel a difference at all. Do the right thing. Don't be stingy and pay the bit more for the one with cat. Cat-less exhausts are for race cars only.
  • Nafe and Sweep like this

rosco186

rosco186

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks guys. probably looking at a high flow cat now anyway.

Timding

Timding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationPoint Cook
Common concensus here with anyone I have spoken to is being caught with a hollowed out cat is a fine of around $10k. Saying that noone has been done it just seems to be the legend that gets passed around.

Any ideas on the fine up in QLD Sutty?
Posted Image

Sutty

Sutty

• Moderators
  • 691 posts
  • LocationCairns
That certainly isn't a fine police would be able to handout and not a fine that would be imposed by a Magistrate for a defect charge. I would imagine this fine -if true would be something to do with emissions and breaching EPA type laws. I will see what I can find when googling tonight.

paulbagz

paulbagz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

I know in my neck of the woods, the boys do carry a decibel meter.
I would suggest i you get stopped and checked and exceed the db level you will probably looking at a ticket and defect.

How does this work with Varex exhausts?

I'm guessing it would be the reading at full/open?

-PB

Bren

Bren

Forum Guru

• Moderators
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationToowoomba
Varex exhausts are illegal. If you have one/want to run one, make sure everything is as hidden as possible.

Typhoon

Typhoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
Is a varex still illegal if the original exhaust wasnt over the max to start with?

Sutty

Sutty

• Moderators
  • 691 posts
  • LocationCairns
Varex system would be illegal. Will post appropriate legislation when I get home.

paulbagz

paulbagz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Varex system would be illegal. Will post appropriate legislation when I get home.

Serious?!

Fark. Kinda puts a downer on my future plans lol :(

-PB

Sutty

Sutty

• Moderators
  • 691 posts
  • LocationCairns
Applicable legislation in Qld:

Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 2010

Sct 133 Silencing device for exhaust systems
A motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine must be fitted with a silencing device through which all the exhaust from the engine passes.

The applicable part of this section being that ALL exhaust gases must pass through the silencer, as I am aware a Varex allows you to divert gases away from the silencer for more noise.
Also this section would also be applicable:

135 Stationary noise levels—cars, car derivatives, motorbikes and motortrikes
The stationary noise level of a car, car derivative, motorbike or motortrike must not be more than—

(a) for a car or car derivative built after 1982—90dB(A); or
(B) for another car or car derivative—96dB(A); or
© for a motorbike or motortrike built after February 1985—94dB(A); or
(d) for another motorbike or motortrike—100dB(A).

Due to the ability of the Varex to divert the gases you would not comply with the dB rating either.
If I have misunderstood the ability of the Varex exhaust please let me know.

Typhoon

Typhoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
Sutty, A varex vavle works like an electric butterfly valve all it does is stems the amount of flow through the pipe not divert it to a separate pipe. Eg A mate of mine has a reasonable sized exhaust that is on border line legal and has a varex valve that is remote controlled from in the car that spins the butterfly valve around to close all bar a 10% gap on each side reducing the noise (better on highway drives no wur noise for 6 hours and around certain vehicles with blue and white checkers)

ferdie

ferdie

Forum Guru

• Moderators
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationKingaroy
typhoon, ive not picked one up but i believe it does valve the exhaust but it think it also passes it through the muffler, if you look at the pic on the website it shows the gas taking a different path when the valve is open to when it is closed

Sutty

Sutty

• Moderators
  • 691 posts
  • LocationCairns
Looking at the exhaust flow diagrams on this page:

http://www.xforce.co...rts-muffler.php

Although the gases pass through the silencer housing, they are not passing through the silencer part of it, therefore are not being silenced.

Also when you check out the legal stuff on the X-Force website it also says this:

* XFORCE and VAREX products are for race/Off-road use only, not road/street use unless otherwise advised.
http://www.xforce.com.au/legal.php

If XForce are denying responsibility it is a good gaurantee that it is not a compliant piece of equipment.

Typhoon

Typhoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
Hmm interesting, I will have to have a look at how my mates is set up, If you where to have this plus a muffler prior to would it be legal then as it would be doing its job and then the varex would make it quieter (dunno why you would but anyway)

Sutty

Sutty

• Moderators
  • 691 posts
  • LocationCairns
Probably but I would have thought that having a muffler prior to the Varex would virtually render the Varex system useless as it would only make your car quieter.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users