license plate bracket streetfx slimline diy

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

wtf

wtf

Forum Guru

• Administrators
  • 1,338 posts

Does anyone know how to cover the gab when you take of the oem bracket?

this bracket covers the stock holes so you cant see them

[WTF 86] 2012 Toyota 86, Pearl White
[WTF] 2001 Porsche 986S Convertible
[WTF 4] 1997 Nissan 180SX/S14A hybrid
[WTF 180] 1990 Nissan 180SX/S15 hybrid, RB26 600hp

witha-y

witha-y

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationBrisbane QLD

I took my plates, slimline bracket mount and instructions to my dealer asking them to please apply when my car arrives. Answer "sorry they are not QLD transport approved" I thought "Oh come on" Sometimes these places just take things too far. You buy a $40 000 car and they can't mount some number plates the way you want them grrr

wtf

wtf

Forum Guru

• Administrators
  • 1,338 posts

I took my plates, slimline bracket mount and instructions to my dealer asking them to please apply when my car arrives. Answer "sorry they are not QLD transport approved" I thought "Oh come on" Sometimes these places just take things too far. You buy a $40 000 car and they can't mount some number plates the way you want them grrr

The plates are still DOT compliant, the plate location is the same as factory (not offset), the bracket does not obstruct the view of the plate, nor pose any threat to pedestrians. 

There is nothing non compliant about it.

wtf

wtf

Forum Guru

• Administrators
  • 1,338 posts

sounds like they were just plain lazy

witha-y

witha-y

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationBrisbane QLD

sounds like they were just plain lazy

Well it was actually my dealer. I dropped it all off to him when he was out of the office. He then called me to say that it couldn't be done because it was not a DOT approved product. He did say he would ask the workshop but who knows, I pick up my car on Friday. I even printed the instructions and gave it to them  :wacko:

Leni81

Leni81

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Just wondering if anyone uses anti theft screws with these brackets? I just picked up my custom plates and have ordered the slimline bracket, but was just wondering what people are doing to mitigate the risk of having their plates stolen?

Also with the custom plates, do you guys tend to put plate frames around them or attach them as is? I have slimeline acrylic plates and wasn't sure if the plate frames would add any bulk that would make using the bracket an issue.

As a new 86 owner I'd appreciate any hints or tips! :)

Typhoon

Typhoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
I have just used normal screws and no frame not a fan of them personally

wtf

wtf

Forum Guru

• Administrators
  • 1,338 posts

I have just used normal screws and no frame not a fan of them personally

Same for me.

Samoth

Samoth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

So I installed mine tonight. Because of the factory clips that need to stay in order to hold the numberplate bolts in, the bracket doesn't sit flush against the front bar. It does in the middle, but not on the sides where the clips are. Am I doing something wrong?

HSK33W

HSK33W

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I have recently purchased and Installed mine aswell and it also doesn't appear to sit flush with my front bumper (a 2014 GTS)

similarly to Samoth's problem.

I presumed having a "CNC milled rear face" that it would "completely cover up the holes and sit totally flush against the bar"

Here are some photos of the mount installed,

Attached File  IMG_2504.JPG   151.73K   26 downloads

And here,

Attached File  IMG_2505.JPG   133.52K   33 downloads

Still a lot better than the stock mount however, but I did expect it to sit flush with the bumper as posted by the OP, so was this intended?

Attached File  IMG_2506.JPG   110.52K   30 downloads

cps

cps

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I just recently installed mine as well and its the same deal. Looks good from the front, but from above, having it not sit flush looks a bit crap.

KRI515

KRI515

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Try sliding the factory clip off and place it behind panel, bit fiddly but looks tidier.

Attached Files

• cps and Mic83 like this

cps

cps

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Cheers KRI515, will give that a go. Certainly looks a lot nicer in your photo.

CooF

CooF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hey Guys,

Just curious if anyone knows the answer to this, im getting a 4 digit slimline black plate soon.

Would 4 digits make the plate to small that you would see the mount sticking out from the left and right? OR would it cover up the mount completely? All the plates im seeing have at least 5-6 digits..

Cheers

KRI515

KRI515

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Slimline 4 digit QLD plate is 291mm long the Street FX mount is 300mm long so yes the mount will stick out either end.

It would be a pretty simple job to trim the mount to stop it showing either side of the plate.

CooF

CooF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Slimline 4 digit QLD plate is 291mm long the Street FX mount is 300mm long so yes the mount will stick out either end.

It would be a pretty simple job to trim the mount to stop it showing either side of the plate.

Cheers! I am in VIC but i think the plate size is the same. 

I did have the idea of trimming the bracket but it seemed there wasnt enough space between the end of it and the screw in holes...

dglo5647

dglo5647

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Literally took me 10 mins including looking up the how to, printing off and completing the job. Also have a 2014 GTS and it sits all of 1mm off due to the clips. Still looks great, cheers!

randwickgt86

randwickgt86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Just received the bracket today, easy to install and looks good.

acid86

acid86

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Did anyone else have the issue of the bolts that were sent with the bracket being the wrong thread size for the mount? Myself and three others have tried to get them in but it looks like I will have to spend additional money to buy bolts that actually do fit. The bolts from the original bracket are too short to fit. :( 

Hawk

Hawk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 563 posts
  • LocationShelbyville QLD : )

Did anyone else have the issue of the bolts that were sent with the bracket being the wrong thread size for the mount? Myself and three others have tried to get them in but it looks like I will have to spend additional money to buy bolts that actually do fit. The bolts from the original bracket are too short to fit. :(

Contact StreetFX and see what they say.  Are you facelift or pre facelift?  Don't know if there was a OEM change to mount at some point that StreetFX hasn't accounted for?

I bought and installed mine 5 years ago so can't remember, sorry.

2013 C7P 86 GTS AT

1991 Red Celica GT4 Grp A Rallye #069 SOLD :)  :(  :)  :( 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: license, plate, bracket, streetfx, slimline, diy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users