• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

vur

vur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

This is heresy but the wife & I have reached the age where comfort is desired.  A recent ride in a friends' Skoda Octavia made us realise that  a good compromise between comfortable ride with good handling  and small body-roll is achievable.

Has anyone modified the twins for comfort? 

vur

vur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
Someone suggested a gel-cushion. 

I trialled a couple of gel cushions and one does exactly what I wanted. The jarring and jiggly ride now feels nicely damped so much so that I think everyone could give it a try. All it cost was $20 Australian and I know I could have spent a heap on spring/damper experimentation and maybe never have got it to feel right. I reckon the o.e. seats could have been tuned by the makers to much better match the suspension. The feeling I get is that the wheels are more stuck on the road (even though the suspension is the same) and I am inclined to throw the car around more.
The tradeoff is a feeling of being perched up on the seat rather than down in it and not located by it as much resulting in a a slight feeling of wallowing and body roll which you would expect. I have lowered the seat to the max to compensate and got used to it quickly. Previously I had the seat raised about 40mm. 
The cushion is 430 X 330 X 60 mm and quite heavy due to a generous bag of gel inside a cover of quite soft 30 mm foam both top and bottom and around the sides. It is not memory foam. My feeling is that is the gel that is doing most of the work. Maybe using just the bag in the seat would do the trick. Widthwise it is a perfect snug fit between the side bolsters but I have trimmed the foam to fit back between the seat-back bolsters. I made an hollow for the wedding tackle too and trimmed foam off the front as it pressed on the back of my thighs up by the knees. At $20 I can afford experimenting.

The cushion is  MA2488 AMAZING GEL COMFORT CUSHION 34  from Cheap As Chips.   They have a "Cooling gel" cushion which is black. I could not find any gel in it.

vur

vur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

The quest for comfort continues.  

I was about to return the Cooling gel cushion (model HA9255, also $20) i.e. the one that actually doesn't contain any gel.   It is described as a "Cooling Gel Seat Cushion". Although there's no gel, what it DOES have is a rubbery honeycomb sort of pad about 20mm thick glued to a fabric backing which breathes.  The rubber feels like a tough silicone rubber.

I wondered what it would perform like with the gel bag from the MA2488 under the rubbery pad so I slit the foam, extracted the bag, unzipped the HA9255 slipped  in the bag and went for a drive.   As it is thinner I did not have the feeling of being perched up on the seat as with the other cushion and there was no need to trim foam. Being black it looks better too.  

It did a similar job of damping the jarring/jiggling. It does not feel bouncy but it was not as "dead" as the MA2488. The bag is rectangular and the gel was soon pushed forward and bulged up near my knees. I had the bag fitted fore-aft so I pulled it out and fitted it out smooth (no creases) across and towards the back and that worked fine.   I deliberately drove off the side of the road where there was choppy disintegrating bitumen which would have had me gritting my teeth and the improvement was quite significant. So far I would not be without it but long-term and for long trips we shall see.

vur

vur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Woops.  My bad.  I said "    the Cooling gel cushion (model HA9255, also $20) i.e. the one that actually doesn't contain any gel.   It is described as a "Cooling Gel Seat Cushion". Although there's no gel, what it DOES have is a rubbery honeycomb sort of pad about 20mm thick glued to a fabric backing which breathes.  The rubber feels like a tough silicone rubber.  "

I googled "gel" and now know that gels can be liquids through to solids so the rubbery pad is a gel .....  just not like the liquid stuff in the bag. 

• Hawk likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users