• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

vur

vur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

The metal part to which the rubber seal is attached on my car is rusting. I'm talking about the black rubber that seals across the front edge of the bonnet. If you push back the rubber you may see rust on the uppermost edge of the metal.

My car is 5 years old & there's no problem with any other paint.  Has anyone else got the problem and had it fixed by Toyota?  

• Hawk, GTS Blonde, 1Cddvxsdf and 1 other like this

GTS Blonde

GTS Blonde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Thanks for the heads-up vur.

I just checked out that area on my 2013 GTS (the seal that runs along the front edge of the engine bay between the headlights) and, after folding the seal back, did indeed find one tiny spot of rust on the metal strip that secures the seal to the body.

This really surprises me, as my car was purchased new and has been pampered ever since (only 20,000 ks, garaged overnight, not near salty air, always hand-washed with Auto Glym PH neutral shampoo, etc).

My husband (the family car expert) had a look and declared it only superficial, but then spent ten minutes on it anyway, eliminating the rust with some emery paper and applying a dab of black 'Killrust' paint with a cotton bud.

Congratulations on your eye for detail vur, as I'm sure no body else has spotted it.

I guarantee every 86forums member who reads this, especially those with earlier cars, will be folding back that seal to take a peek :unsure:.

• Hawk and vur like this

vur

vur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Thanks for the heads-up vur.

I just checked out that area on my 2013 GTS (the seal that runs along the front edge of the engine bay between the headlights) and, after folding the seal back, did indeed find one tiny spot of rust on the metal strip that secures the seal to the body.

This really surprises me, as my car was purchased new and has been pampered ever since (only 20,000 ks, garaged overnight, not near salty air, always hand-washed with Auto Glym PH neutral shampoo, etc).

My husband (the family car expert) had a look and declared it only superficial, but then spent ten minutes on it anyway, eliminating the rust with some emery paper and applying a dab of black 'Killrust' paint with a cotton bud.

Congratulations on your eye for detail vur, as I'm sure no body else has spotted it.

I guarantee every 86forums member who reads this, especially those with earlier cars, will be folding back that seal to take a peek :unsure:.

Actually I have now found that it is a known issue. A bit of me died when I spotted it. Mine too was very minor as (I believe) I always douse with rainwater after washing to remove dissolved salts in tap-water. Doing this I had ZERO rust in my previous car after 17 years.  

I applied "Killrust Fishoilene" instead of that black paint. The fishy stuff takes 48 hours to dry "to a pliable protective coating" and even then after 168 hours is tacky so to stop the rubber sticking and sticking to the bumper underneath I have dusted with talc.  I'm wishing I had used the same black paint as you.

• GTS Blonde likes this

GTS Blonde

GTS Blonde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

According to my husband, any 'Killrust'-type paints take far, far longer to dry than normal paints, as they are actually designed to, well, 'kill' the rust during a long curing process. They eventually dry to a hard protective finish like any other paints, thus sealing against further rust developing (or so he says anyway). So if the paint you used took a long time to dry vur, this means you have done it right.

vur

vur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Oh thanks for the re-assurance.  The talc worked a treat when I re-fitted yesterday and as it is magnesium silicate I don't expect any negative effects.  The rubber seal did not press up against the raised edge of the bumper so I bolted down a discreet bit of closed cell foam behind it to push it perfectly into place. 

What medication do YOU take for OCD by the way?  Nothing I've tried helps much  ;) 

We are in Adelaide.  Try not to worry too much about being a Victorian.

From your forum name I guess you must be a blonde.  I hope this does not offend but how do you tell when a blonde has an orgasm?  scroll down VV

She drops her nail file.

• GTS Blonde likes this

GTS Blonde

GTS Blonde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

My husband is the OCD sufferer in this family and there is no cure (although his affliction does come in handy from time to time where car maintenance is concerned).

As far as the blonde jokes go, trust me, I've heard them all vur  .. my husband's favourite: Why do blondes prefer cars with sunroofs? More legroom!

• vur likes this

ZAZ

ZAZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationWestern District

Bonnet seal rust  my bonnet is aluminium

which seal?

I had an aluminium door boot and bonnet Lotus Cortina back in 1969 and some coal lumps fell off a coal truck in Lithgow NSW and put a fracture in the hood which was hard to tap out and had to be glued.

No one in 1969 could weld thin Aluminium or as you guys say Aluminum!

• GTS Blonde likes this
1968 Series II Corona 1600S1974 RT104 MQFG Corona GT1989 JDM ST185R All Track GT4 95000 km 2005 ACA22R RAV2012 ZN6 86GT 5000 km <p>

vur

vur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

The bonnet may be Al but we are talking about the metal part to which the rubber  is attached . I'm talking about the black rubber that seals across the front edge of the bonnet. If you push back the rubber you may see rust on the uppermost edge of the metal.

Unbolt and uncli the seal (very easy) to see exactly.

• Hawk and GTS Blonde like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users