• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

howareyoukk

howareyoukk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hi all :)

I just bought a used MY2014 gts86 from a local Mazda dealer in perth Western Australia  less than a week ago. Although the car is still with the dealer, I have been doing a lot of research on the car ever since and only until yesterday did I find this major fault called "cricket noise" and it is a high pitch noise generated by the High Pressure Fuel Pump when idling. Also, I found mostly the US and Canadian and sometimes the British owners discussed this issue frequently, but such discussion was not often found on Australian forum. Just wondering if any of the 86 owners from Australia have this issue as well ? or perhaps the premium gas, such as BP 98 RON eliminates the noise, as mentioned by the US owners?

Thanks in advance!

gattman

gattman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Yep it exists, and is horrible. I had a 2013 GTS here in Melbourne. It developed it after a year or so of ownership. After a lot of haggling with Toyota, both the dealer and then the head office they ended up replacing the high pressure fuel injection. Unfortunately a few months later and just before I decided to get rid of what I considered a LEMON, the noise started to come back again. Toyota tried to blame me and the fuel, however I was able to supply them with months of receipts for BP premium fuel. That's all I ever used on the car. In any case I got rid of it just prior to the warranty expiring. I have just purchased a 2017 GTS and am loving it very different beast to the previous model.

howareyoukk

howareyoukk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Yep it exists, and is horrible. I had a 2013 GTS here in Melbourne. It developed it after a year or so of ownership. After a lot of haggling with Toyota, both the dealer and then the head office they ended up replacing the high pressure fuel injection. Unfortunately a few months later and just before I decided to get rid of what I considered a LEMON, the noise started to come back again. Toyota tried to blame me and the fuel, however I was able to supply them with months of receipts for BP premium fuel. That's all I ever used on the car. In any case I got rid of it just prior to the warranty expiring. I have just purchased a 2017 GTS and am loving it very different beast to the previous model.

thanks for the info..I hope I will be able to live with the issue when I get the car later on this week. I guess its a lesson learnt for not doing enough research about the car prior to its purchase. I was going to get an Audi A4 but the overall look and feel of the a4, in my opinion, were a bit too dull for people at my age. So I saw the 86 listing and thought its cool since it is in red and told myself Toyota is known for good built..guess I have just dug my own grave.

gattman

gattman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Just because I had the issue doesn't mean that you will. In my opinion my car was an absolute Lemon. Perhaps the reason that you don't see people complaining about it on the Aussie forums is that it's not a common problem here. I have only ever really heard it on other 86's. So relax and enjoy the car. Don't forget I'm on my second one now. Oh and I'm 55, so I don't think age has much to do with an enjoyment of cars.

howareyoukk

howareyoukk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Just because I had the issue doesn't mean that you will. In my opinion my car was an absolute Lemon. Perhaps the reason that you don't see people complaining about it on the Aussie forums is that it's not a common problem here. I have only ever really heard it on other 86's. So relax and enjoy the car. Don't forget I'm on my second one now. Oh and I'm 55, so I don't think age has much to do with an enjoyment of cars.

thanks for the word of comfort :) I hope you are enjoying your new ride as well :) 

• gattman likes this

ZZT86

ZZT86

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

If you don't want crickets avoid any fuel with ethanol unless it's saturated with it, ie: E85 which drowns the sh1t out of them - NB: you can't use E85 unless the car is tuned for it !

I had NO crickets with the use of only Shell VPower but as soon as I put some BP Ultimate or Caltex in the crickets started singing until all that fuel was gone which is usually a few tank cycles.

I can't imagine the 2017 car would be that much different to the 2012 car, personally :wacko:

ZZT86

ZZT86

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

@howareyoukk  Good you didn't get the A4 - such a boring car AND a genuine lemon in itself ! The Toyota  . . ahem . . Subaru isn't as reliable or well made as a real Toyota but it's OK.

howareyoukk

howareyoukk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

@howareyoukk  Good you didn't get the A4 - such a boring car AND a genuine lemon in itself ! The Toyota  . . ahem . . Subaru isn't as reliable or well made as a real Toyota but it's OK.

hi thanks for the info. I got the car few days ago and have been driving it ever since. Ironically, I don't think I heard any "cricket" noise, the high pitch noise most likely coming from the fuel pump while idling; however, I do get some rattling noise presumably in the dash, behind the steering wheel every time  if accelerating quickly till the RPM reaching 2500. Do you encounter a similar problem as well ? Since I have OCD syndrome, this unknown rattling noise upsets me greatly.

P.S. An appointment with a Toyota dealer is booked for vehicle inspection next week, hopefully they are able to track and fix the issue for me. 

ZZT86

ZZT86

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

The rattle behind the dash is either some loose trim or noise transferred through the firewall which may very well be the injectors which are noisy enough. Be certain of one thing - this is one noisy car, engine especially.

howareyoukk

howareyoukk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

The rattle behind the dash is either some loose trim or noise transferred through the firewall which may very well be the injectors which are noisy enough. Be certain of one thing - this is one noisy car, engine especially.

Hi ZZT86 , sorry to trouble you once more. I found a clip on youtube that shows a similar symptom my car has, though my car does it consistently between 2500-3000 rpm during quick acceleration. The rattles from the vid is pretty much identical to mine and they can be heard at 0.03 second and 0:24 second. I assume you may have a rough idea what it is?  thanks in advance. 

https://www.youtube....h?v=6uTUaCBhGiQ

ZZT86

ZZT86

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Clutch disc chatter - you're letting the engine revs drop too low, keep them above 700rpm or be very gentle with the throttle when revs are low to coast other wise you will hear this - normal.

Edit - if you're hearing this @ 2500rpm whilst driving then you have great ears or your car is falling apart - get Toyota to investigate/fix if under warranty. It would be clutch related.

howareyoukk

howareyoukk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Clutch disc chatter - you're letting the engine revs drop too low, keep them above 700rpm or be very gentle with the throttle when revs are low to coast other wise you will hear this - normal.

Edit - if you're hearing this @ 2500rpm whilst driving then you have great ears or your car is falling apart - get Toyota to investigate/fix if under warranty. It would be clutch related.

thanks for the input :) yeah I can hear it at around 2500 rpm and the noise lasts 1 second or 2. Also, my car has an automatic transmission so I am not sure it has a clutch disc or not? but based on the noise, its should be transmission box related? 

ZZT86

ZZT86

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Auto - bugger - it's different & far more complicated. Get Toyota to check.

gattman

gattman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

If you don't want crickets avoid any fuel with ethanol unless it's saturated with it, ie: E85 which drowns the sh1t out of them - NB: you can't use E85 unless the car is tuned for it !

I had NO crickets with the use of only Shell VPower but as soon as I put some BP Ultimate or Caltex in the crickets started singing until all that fuel was gone which is usually a few tank cycles.

I can't imagine the 2017 car would be that much different to the 2012 car, personally :wacko:

That's interesting. I have never heard that BP Ultimate might be the cause. Toyota insisted that my noise developed because I was using other fuels than BP Ultimate. Until I showed them my BP receipts, after which they changed my fuel pump, supposedly?

I believe Toyota redesigned the fuel injection on the 2017 86 manuals. My car has just over 6000 kms on the clock and all I ever use is BP Ultimate. No noises thus far. But if I get them I'll try the shell stuff.

ZZT86

ZZT86

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

The BR86 requires a fuel with 98RON min, any of the above will do but who knows what's in them. I hope for your sake Gatt and everyone else that the new HPFP is the end of this nonsense. @gattman come back to me in 1-2 years time & let us know how it's all going.

gattman

gattman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

The BR86 requires a fuel with 98RON min, any of the above will do but who knows what's in them. I hope for your sake Gatt and everyone else that the new HPFP is the end of this nonsense. @gattman come back to me in 1-2 years time & let us know how it's all going.

No need to be rude mate. Or perhaps I'm reading you wrong. 

ZZT86

ZZT86

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

^^ Not being rude. What I meant was for those of us who have been here since the start (I ordered my car mid 2012) the problem of the unacceptably noisy HPFP has remained a royal pita cos it's bloody horrible. Seems like the Toyota pump isn't the only one - recently was filling up @ Shell when a noisy Mazda 6 rocked up - they also have direct injection :/

• gattman likes this

howareyoukk

howareyoukk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

on top of the cricket noise discussion, I just wanna say that I hope the dealership can hear and recognise the issue and fix it for me this Thursday. Amen.

gattman

gattman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

on top of the cricket noise discussion, I just wanna say that I hope the dealership can hear and recognise the issue and fix it for me this Thursday. Amen.

I videoed mine and emailed it to Toyota directly. You can call them and have them open up a case.

howareyoukk

howareyoukk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

UPDATE 1: the inspection took place few hours ago. The technician went on a test drive with me after I verbally depicted the issue to him. He heard the rattle during the test drive and afterwards he said a further diagnose of the vehicle was needed, including driving another 86 with a similar manufactured date and communicating with Toyota to ensure if the rattle was the characteristic of the car or not. However, he did mention a thing or two about the rattles perhaps had something to do with the exhaust, engine and flywheel and didn't think it was merely interior rattles. On a side note, he also mentioned my car had a rougher handling than previous 86 he had driven, as he felt vibration from the steering wheel or something was not levelled <= can't remember exactly what he said for this part.

Currently the car is with Toyota and I will update you guys once I have my updates from them. Thanks !

P.S. this is my first car and I bought it used from a dealer. Based on the previous owner of the car and a thorough service record, I only thought the car would only have some cosmetic issues, such as scratches or dents, and it would not have any mechanical problems. I guess I thought wrong. Also, I don't think the rattles are the nature characteristic of the car --- rattles during certain rpm under load but they are non existed when the car is not in gear? nah..

• gattman likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users