• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

Agent86

Agent86

Forum Guru

• Moderators
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationInner Northside Brisbane, Qld, Australia

I take it you had a good route today then?
Haha

Well, there were some ups and downs, but there were some nice tight curves, and bits where I just wanted to hang on to. I could say it even took my breath away. :P
...now about the roads... ;)
  • lame duck, Reans, Hoopyfactor and 4 others like this
Matty C.

Velocity Orange 86 GTS AT
Previous: 2010 Aurion Sportivo ZR6 (Ink Black) - moonroof, 18" Kappas; 2007 Camry Sportivo (Inferno Orange), 2005 Camry Sportivo, ... , Gemini, '71 Kombi and '64 VW Beetle!

Zero00

Zero00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationSandstone Point Q

Well, it was a little bumpy now and then, but there were some nice tight curves, and bits where I just wanted to hang on to. I could say it even took my breath away. ;) :P
...now about the roads...

Matty, did you do THAT run?  Won't say too much here but if you did then you would have had a ball!! How's the heart rate now?

ZOE000

ZOE000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationIn the Forest by the Lake.QLD
Its all in tbe spelling mike,haha.
Just having some lighthearted fun,lifes too serious sometimes...
  • lame duck likes this

Agent86

Agent86

Forum Guru

• Moderators
  • 1,315 posts

Matty, did you do THAT run? Won't say too much here but if you did then you would have had a ball!! How's the heart rate now?

Not sure if we're still talking about roads here but if we are, and we are talking Bellthorpe Range Road, then yes and yes. It's awesome.
If we're taking the OTHER run, mums the word :)
And PS Mike is just taking the piss out of you too.
  • ZOE000 and Zero00 like this
Matty C.

Previous: 2010 Aurion Sportivo ZR6 (Ink Black) - moonroof, 18" Kappas; 2007 Camry Sportivo (Inferno Orange), 2005 Camry Sportivo, ... , Gemini, '71 Kombi and '64 VW Beetle!

Outsider

Outsider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationBrisbane
So this weekend is looking pretty much locked in? Will start looking at some accommodation options, anyone have any recommendations or already booked theres?

Agent86

Agent86

Forum Guru

• Moderators
  • 1,315 posts

So this weekend is looking pretty much locked in? Will start looking at some accommodation options, anyone have any recommendations or already booked theres?

Mike's looking into this I believe :)
  • ub78 and lame duck like this
Matty C.

Agent86

Agent86

Forum Guru

• Moderators
  • 1,315 posts
ok ... here is the current proposal for the Sunday part of the cruise - return to Brisbane.

As mentioned in the OP some may choose to only cruise on the Sunday - which will require you to drive to Tewantin Sunday morning. Meet at the Shell at Tewantin around 10am for a 10:30am departure.
Those of us staying in Tewantin/Noosa for the night are welcome to come together for a buffet breakfast at the Yacht club (about $15).

The cruise: http://goo.gl/maps/d41fx

Lunch is proposed to be at the Mary Cairncross kiosk/cafe/restaurant. Preparations will be made with Sarah on site to accomodate us. Alternatively, the picnic facilities are also available.
  • lame duck and LuckySpoon like this
Matty C.

Hawk

Hawk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 563 posts
  • LocationShelbyville QLD : )

I viewed the map and it is all screwed up.

I started sorting it out, the obi obi bit isn't right. https://maps.google....via=13&t=m&z=12

2013 C7P 86 GTS AT

1991 Red Celica GT4 Grp A Rallye #069 SOLD :)  :(  :)  :( 

Zero00

Zero00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Not sure if we're still talking about roads here but if we are, and we are talking Bellthorpe Range Road, then yes and yes. It's awesome.

Agent86

Agent86

Forum Guru

• Moderators
  • 1,315 posts

I viewed the map and it is all screwed up.

I started sorting it out, the obi obi bit isn't right.

Yeah, I don't know what's going on with the google map links - it's normally just a simple copy and paste. but I have been playing around with this for the last 3 hours and can't get it happening - well, not from within the forum at least. The link works from everywhere else I try it .. .frustrating!

EDIT: Aah finally! Ok the link in my post above should be correct now. Also added to the OP - which has also been updated with new notes.
Matty C.

lame duck

lame duck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Locationnoosa

Matt -

your amended map is a work of art - I thankyou for all the time and effort you have put in to this with lauren and I offering wise counsel when asked for - we still have a bit to do re saturday afternoon and dinner activity, assuming there is interest for this, and of course accommodation, but I think this is best served closer to the date - in the meantime would it be possible to publish both routes together?

mike

humour should be taken seriously.

Agent86

Agent86

Forum Guru

• Moderators
  • 1,315 posts
Most definitely Mike. Lots of planning still to be done - hence why we planned this for August and not July :) hopefully I can get things together and get the event created on the Facebook page as well and get definite numbers on the interest worked out - as many places need to be notified in advance - GoKart track, accommodation, Sunday lunch etc
I still need to determine the starting point for the Saturday cruise - the 2 primary possibilities so far are Bunnings car park, Stafford or Bunnings car park, Carseldine. Both are busy places on Saturday mornings but large car park areas are hard to secure in the burbs :)
I will however draft up the cruise route and post it - hopefully before tonight.
Matty C.

Hawk

Hawk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 563 posts
  • LocationShelbyville QLD : )

That's awesome Matty.  Begs the question though.... why go the long way when we can just come back down the Bruce to get back to Brisbane from Noosa?  :D

Joking aside it looks like a good twisty cruise.  I see you've included the bit by Somerset - I'm hoping not to get stuck behind a Magna again for that bit.

Overall I'm looking forward to this whole weekend.  Hopefully lotto will come through and I'll have a beach house up that way so I don't have so far to drive from home on the Saturday.

• Agent86 likes this

2013 C7P 86 GTS AT

1991 Red Celica GT4 Grp A Rallye #069 SOLD :)  :(  :)  :( 

Zero00

Zero00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Haha - who's 'Mike' and what's his nick and what's his reason?

Again Matty great choice of roads, they totally suit a car that corners!! Bellthorpe has been one of the best kept secrets for quite a while!!

Agent86

Agent86

Forum Guru

• Moderators
  • 1,315 posts
Mike is a bit of a lame duck around these parts - and a bit of a card. Great bloke. (I have to say that. I'm staying at his place that weekend).
Do see my notes about Bellthorpe on the OP. Comments welcome. But yes it is a great road well suited to the 86 :) I think we will run rally style - staggered starts - once we hit the start of that section. I (or another volunteer) will lead quite a way ahead to warn of any oncoming traffic - to help ensure it is more enjoyable.
  • lame duck and Zero00 like this
Matty C.

Zero00

Zero00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Mike is a bit of a lame duck around these parts - and a bit of a card. Great bloke. (I have to say that. I'm staying at his place that weekend).
Do see my notes about Bellthorpe on the OP. Comments welcome. But yes it is a great road well suited to the 86 :) I think we will run rally style - staggered starts -once we hit the start of that section. I (or another volunteer) will lead quite a way ahead to warn of any oncoming traffic - to help ensure it is more enjoyable.

Wise move!!  It's a little 'Deliverence' up that way but then I've never heard the sounds of banjo's!! I stopped one day at the top before descending, right near the warning sign and took some pics - just so remote!

• Agent86 likes this

MacTec

MacTec

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

I must say, although I did enjoy that cruise with you Matty, I can't shake this feeling that I am not a huge fan of 2 way practically single lane blind crested corners roadways....

It would only take an oncoming car at the wrong time to either end up hitting head on, or having to take avoiding action to find yourself under-steering on damp grass towards one of the many nearby trees..... it's almost not worth the risk for me, much prefer my own lane.

Maybe I will get over this feeling, maybe I won't, time will tell.

Rob

White Hot Toyota 86 (WHT 86) GTS 6M
My build thread - http://www.86forums....-86-wht-86-gts/

lame duck

lame duck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Locationnoosa

Its all in tbe spelling mike,haha.
Just having some lighthearted fun,lifes too serious sometimes...

Life's too serious sometimes - look below - and i was taking the piss as so pellucidly stated by matt.

mike

• ZOE000 likes this

lame duck

lame duck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Locationnoosa

I must say, although I did enjoy that cruise with you Matty, I can't shake this feeling that I am not a huge fan of 2 way practically single lane blind crested corners roadways....

It would only take an oncoming car at the wrong time to either end up hitting head on, or having to take avoiding action to find yourself under-steering on damp grass towards one of the many nearby trees..... it's almost not worth the risk for me, much prefer my own lane.

Maybe I will get over this feeling, maybe I won't, time will tell.

I agree with your sentiments Rob and for the very reason you have stated Matt, with able assistance from Lauren and I, have spent hours taking all factors into account trying to find new areas of exploration that meet various criteria paramount being safety - as there, it is assumed, likely to be families on the cruise, we wanted to not only find the twisty bits but also some scenery catering for differing tastes and I, for one, will be extra cautious on certain stretches of road - an example is that we considered that obi obi road was a must for its unique one way twisty bits but that means we must mingle with the sunday mums n dads of my doddering age along the "mountain" stretch Mapleton to Maleny as that is the only way to our breath taking beautiful lunch spot - bit of a trade off really and I must admit when I last cruised along that road I enjoyed the aahhs and oohhs that our convoy drew from admirers - I felt like a kid with a new toy playing in the sand pit.

Addressing the issue I guess you are referring to it, as matt suggested, is to be driven in groups with all notified of its inherent particularities and I, for one, will be driving most carefully on that stretch of road enjoying the scenery and saving my tyres for the more challenging drive around somerset and over Nebo and Glorious for you guys as I sadly will be turning North heading home at that stage.

I thankyou for raising your concern as it was a point that considerable time was spent on and is in the planning stage - at the moment it is felt by Triple Velocity to be the route and if others are concerned we can reassess - if it calms any trepidation you may have I am willing to drive "close" behind you??? - maybe not.   I guess I will hear from you on my offer!!!

Thanks again Rob as comments like yours are actually of help in the planning stage and constructive criticism is always appreciated -

now shut up - I dont write haha to explain my jokes as too often my brilliant witticism needs almost a written thesis to allow some measure of understanding - I will do a John Laws - you know what I mean.

mike

Agent86

Agent86

Forum Guru

• Moderators
  • 1,315 posts
It's exactly Rob's points that I have made this part of the route optional (see the OP). That is, those who are 'doing it' turn right, those who are not continue straight ahead :)
Rob and I did this road together 2 weeks ago, blind, for the first time, so his points are well versed. This IS a narrow road with tight blind corners. It is not so narrow that when passing you need 2 wheels 'in the dirt'. There is enough bitumen for 2 cars to pass each other safely (albeit tight) but the road, except for a few sections, is not marked lanes.
When driving alone, as Rob and I did, you do not know if there is another car coming around the next bend toward you, and if there is, you do not know that they are sticking right over to their side of the road. I will say however that any cars found out there will generally be people who live out there who are prepared for other cars coming the other way and will typically be on their side of the road but this cannot be guaranteed. Each time I have driven Bellthorpe, I have met 2 or 3 oncoming vehicles, so this is to say, it is not just 'possible' there will be a car coming toward you on this route, it is 'probable'..
For this cruise though, a scout (most probably me) will go well ahead of the group to check and warn of oncoming traffic. This in no way guarantees there won't be oncoming vehicles but will help to ensure an extra level of safety.
Again, I stress, this section of the route is completely optional, and we will split into 2 groups - those who do and those who don't - because this part is trepidatious. I would rather encourage people NOT to do it than to do it. For example, Roger (Zero000) is a very very well experienced cruiser and when doing this road for the first time was shaking in his boots.
I know a few drivers on this cruise who will absolutely love the Bellthorpe section, but I know most are new to this type of road and I would expect most to 'opt out', of this section - and I encourage that.
  • lame duck, ZOE000 and Hawk like this
Matty C.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users