Boot/Trunk LED light upgrade, step by step guide (GT and GTS)
Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:55 AM
BOOT/TRUNK INTERIOR LED UPGRADE
Give your boot space some actual usable light output
Time required: Should take around 10 minutes or so.
Disclaimer: THIS INFORMATION IS PURELY FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY! Street FX and 86 Forums takes NO RESPONSIBILITY for any damage or potential damage this alteration may cause. We have tested this to the best of our ability, and it is a VERY straight forward procedure, so we expect no troubles. But if you do something silly and scratch your car in the process, don't blame us!
CLICK ANY OF THE PICS TO MAKE THEM FULL SIZE!
boot_compare.jpg 137.72K 42 downloads
Tools & Equipment required:
* 1x Street FX Multidirectional 9 SMD LED Upgrade board (steer clear of cheap china leds, they flicker and 2-3 of the 5 LEDs will mostly fail within months)
* 1x T10 bulb adapter (comes included in our kit, with short flylead)
* 1x Small section double sided mounting tape (included in the kit)
To purchase the LEDs, required, check the threads in this section: http://www.86forums....sport-graphics/
boot_before.jpg 69.33K 53 downloads
1) Pop the boot/trunk (interesting side note - the GT model doesnt have a boot release switch on the bootlid like the GTS does!)
2) The boot interior light is off to the left of the boot space along the top, locate it and squeeze the edges of the plastic housing and give it a tug, it should be fairly easy to dislodge.
bootlight1.jpg 50.34K 85 downloads
3) Using the T10 adapter (while it is connected to the led board) just push the terminal in until the LED board lights up. If it doesnt, then switch the connector 180 degrees (LEDs are polarised)
bootlight2.jpg 53.62K 97 downloads
4) Now, we want the led board to sit inside the housing at a diagonal angle so it throws the most light where it is useful. Test fit the LED board inside the housing making sure the housing is up the correct way. It might take a bit of fiddling to work out what I mean here, but once you angle it right, you will see what we mean.
5) The LED boards are around 2mm too long to fit into the housing in their entirety, so we need to help the lens housing stay in place (it ALMOST clips into its factory spot but NOT QUITE), so we use the bit of supplied double sided tape to hold the housing in place (only fit this after you have done the above step to get a feel for how the LED board sits in the housing diagonally)
bootlight4.jpg 65.81K 79 downloads
6) Locate the LED board diagonally back into the housing, slide the housing back into its factory location, and then once it's as close to being back in it's spot, just push the housing upwards so the double sided tape holds on..
bootlight5.jpg 51.52K 54 downloads
boot_after.jpg 71.84K 29 downloads
- dylls77 and RED86 like this
[WTF] 2001 Porsche 986S Convertible
[WTF 4] 1997 Nissan 180SX/S14A hybrid
[WTF 180] 1990 Nissan 180SX/S15 hybrid, RB26 600hp
Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:21 PM
- wtf likes this
Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:29 PM
- wtf and DjCoopAss like this
Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:23 PM
Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:37 PM
Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:48 PM
how do you remove the globe from the boot, cant turn it off - keep burning my fingers lol
If you look at the back of the light assembly you'll see that there is a brown connector with the wires for the light connected to it. On the side of this connector closest to the back seat is a little catch, push the catch in towards light assembly and then pull the connector out, the light will now go out. Change you bulb for the LED, push the connector back in to the light assembly.
Or grab the bulh with a rag or similar and be quick.
Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:57 PM
Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:33 AM
Nice write up for this & helpful comments - Cheers!
Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:36 PM
Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:00 AM
Hey DennIs, did it end up being a twist or pull/push? :\
Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:22 AM
If you don't want to burn your fingers either put something on your fingers to protect them or find the button that tells the light the boot is open (should be where it latches) and hold the button in with your other hand or something.
- slalaz likes this
2013 C7P 86 GTS AT
1991 Red Celica GT4 Grp A Rallye #069 SOLD
Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:56 AM
all good! figured it out! it was pull!
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users